• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wonderful experience (1 Viewer)

Tri-Counties Birder

AKA The Portland Naturalist
Today, I was cycling along the road, when I came across a male Chaffinch in the middle of the road, it must have only just been hit by a car. As I got closer I realised it was still alive, although in a very moribund state. I picked it up, and I was delighted to get such a brilliant close view of a bird I see everyday, looking at every individual feather, every characteristic. It was in remarkable condition for what it had just been through, not a feather out of place. A few times it flapped its wings, and moved its legs, and I thought it would recover, but it kept calming down again, opening its bill, and half closing its eyes. After about ten minutes admiring it, I thought I better put it in a safe place, so I placed it far away from the road, proped up against a tree. But I really did fear the worst.

Later that day I came past the same place, and I had a look for it, it was gone! It must have recovered! I suppose there is a chance that it was taken by a crow or a fox, but I like to think it was the former.

Just looking into its eyes, and being so close, made it such a wonderful experince.

Sean

P.S. I have been to ringing areas before, put never got a chance to hold them for myself, it really is something else.

Great Sean, it reminds me of an experience I had. Last year a song thrush flew into my window. I went out, it was on it's back on the path. I picked it up, it rolled it's eyes a bit, was clearly alive but not looking good so I put it in the bushes. I checked it a few hours later that afternoon, found it perched on a low branch.....it was looking good!! The next morning I saw it hopping around the garden near where I left it eating bugs. It was gone later that morning.

Clearly you did the right thing. :t:

Joanne

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back