• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which three birds do you most want to see? (1 Viewer)

JeffMoh

I wonder which three birds people have at the top of their "must see" lists.

My three are:

1. Northern Gannet (Unfortunately, I am very unlikely to see this where I live.)

2. Green Kingfisher (I've tried for this South Texas bird several times over the years but with no success. I'll be trying again on a trip to the Rio Grande Valley over Thanksgiving. I haven't seen a Ringed Kingfisher either but for some reason this doesn't interest me as much.)

3. Pauraque (I'll be trying for this over Thanksgiving.)

My "must see" list used to start with Yellow-headed Blackbird and Bobolink but I've now seen these.

Jeff

Scale-Feathered Malkoha
Philippine Eagle
Palawan Peacock-Pheasant

Hopefully I can change my three " most Wanted" in three months time

Shoebill
Cassowary (any of them)
Kagu/Great Grey Owl/Snowy Owl/Pel's Fishing Owl/Kakapo (I know- unlikely!)
It's a bit difficult to choose!

In a North American context......Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Cerulean/Kentucky Warbler (and cos I'm greedy)..Yellow-throated Warbler/Red-headed Woodpecker!

In a UK/Eurasian context...Needle-tailed Swift, Hawk Owl and Red-billed Tropicbird.

''z-z-z-z-zzzzz''

1. Secretarybird
2. Steller's Sea Eagle
3. Resplendent Quetzal

Being a bit more realistic the birds I'd like to see most in Europe are Lammergeier, Barn Owl and Harlequin Duck.

1 Hobby
2 Stock Dove
3 Merlin

These are 3 regulars in my neck of the woods and are reported often. They just don't seem to be there when I look :-C

Great Grey Owl
Orange-breasted Sunbird
Steller's Sea Eagle

Another crack at the owl next year...

John

Two out of three down to date ;) ! Good luck with the owl next year mate.

Kakapo, Spoon-billed Sandpiper & Marvellous Spatuletail for me.

James

EDIT Obviously I reserve the right to change my mind at whim, depending on which fieldguides I've recently been leafing through, or what pics gets posted on line, or any other reason at all. :t:

Last edited:
THREE most wanted birds? I could name 300 :eek!: Just in waders alone they'd have to be :-

Jerdons Courser
Tuamoto Sandpiper
Noble/ Giant/ Imperial Snipe

Chris

It's a bit difficult to choose!
Hear!
THREE most wanted birds? I could name 300
Hear!

My sentiments exactly. Just in warblers alone, I would (with much agonizing*) narrow it down to:

1) Elfin Woods Warbler
2) Arrow-headed Warbler
3) Whistling Warbler

Fortunately, I should be able to knock off #1 shortly (touch wood).

Peter C.

(*caused by having to mentally skip over the entire genus Myioborus |:(|because I couldn't possibly pick just three!)

Top three... hundred? Thousand? :t: For my sanity's sake I'll restrict myself to the western hemisphere ('cause I've got a major thing for Neotropical birds) and tentatively say:

1. Crescent-faced Antpitta
2. Marvelous Spatuletail
3. Red Warbler

Now for the rest of the day my thoughts will be filled with hundreds of other contenders for "Top Three" B :)

Same as Andy, I would first pick some species that are often reported from closer proximity of my home patch(es) but are still missing on my list. Avocet and Stilt come to mind instantly.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back