• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden eagles (1 Viewer)

JTweedie

There was a programme on TV last night where a guy was travelling with some Sami people as they followed the reindeer. They had a couple of dogs that ran alongside them, but they fell behind. After stopping to wait for the dogs, they could see one of the dogs off in the distance heading in the wrong direction. Then they spotted a golden eagle overhead.

The narrator gave the impression that the eagle would take the dog - do you think this is realistic?

Depending on the size of the dog, however it would still be relatively unrealistic. However, the GE can take prey up to the size of pheasants, hares, and even young deer, but these tend to be sick/injured. The GE is an opportunist hunter.

I did think it was a bit of hyperbole in the programme. One of the guys headed out toward his dog, but I think he was just going to the dog rather than "protecting" it from the eagle. I know golden eagles can be opportunistic, just in this case it looked a bit far-fetched.

They also have been know to take fox/ fox cubs so it is possible, however they tend to only take these when there normal prey is low, they also have been recorded taking every single diurnal BoP.

There was a programme on TV last night where a guy was travelling with some Sami people as they followed the reindeer. They had a couple of dogs that ran alongside them, but they fell behind. After stopping to wait for the dogs, they could see one of the dogs off in the distance heading in the wrong direction. Then they spotted a golden eagle overhead.

The narrator gave the impression that the eagle would take the dog - do you think this is realistic?

I assume the dogs were huskies, not Yorkshire terriers?? If its the former then the narrator was talking through his proverbial

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back