• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Found Baby Sparrow (1 Viewer)

redhead31293

Hey, guys! I'd like some advice. Six days ago we found a baby bird. He was less than a week old when we found him and he barely had any feathers at all. The tips were growing, but other than that he was bald. My mom told us that he had no chance of surviving and that there was nothing we could do. We attempted to put him back in his nest, but the nest was built in fragile vines and we feared that the whole nest would come down if we tried returning the little guy. After feeding him, he returned to a pink color, so I took that as a good sign. I had no idea what kind it was, but after researching a bit I came to the conclusion that it is a Sparrow. I wanted to take him to a Wildlife Rehabilitator, but I feared they would turn him down due to a deformity to his left leg. He is doing very well. He has a good appetite, eating about every 30 or so minutes. I also get up every 2 hours during the night to feed him. I read on several sites that you could feed baby birds dog food. I did that for a few days, but I knew it wasn't the right nutrition for the little guy. I went to our local pet store and bought some baby bird food and his growth increased because he was getting the right stuff.
His growth has been great, and I have closely observed his eating and his bowel movements, both of which seem perfectly normal. His eyes and nostrils are clear, I have been VERY careful not to get food in this eyes and nose. I have kept his container as clean as possible to give him the best shot at a healthy life as I can.
I just don't know if he'll be able to thrive in the wild. I fear that his deformity will hinder him greatly and that he won't survive. I am also wondering if his deformity may be the reason why he was out of his nest in the first place. Do adult birds neglect their babies if they see that it has a deformity?
Do you think a Wildlife Rehabilitator would accept him even though he has a significant deformity?
I know it's not recommended to care for a baby bird yourself, and the right thing to do is to take him to a rehabilitator but I don't know if they would take him.
I have dedicated all my time this week to caring for this little baby bird :)
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Jennie

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 62
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back