• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (2 Viewers)

Argentatus 1st Calender

http://picasaweb.google.com/CCBOBS/ArgentatusHerringGull1stCalender#

As mentioned if any birds can be seen to be aged wrongly please let me know, otherwise enjoy some half decent Gull images. Eventually wish to complete a full reference library for the entire calender year of Argentatus. So far the site has had 4 Caspian Guls and a Single Yellow Legged over the pst three years, along with a first year Glaucous...
These albums and some others are permenently accessable in the margin of my blog and will stay there as they are updated over the next few years...

Last edited:
Hi All,

I photographed this lonely gull in October close to Krasnoyarsk.
I beleive it's a heuglini/taimyrensis?

Attachments

• IMG_6808.jpg
    IMG_6808.jpg
    272.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6799.jpg
    IMG_6799.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6789.jpg
    IMG_6789.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
hi aleksey,

yes, a heuglini type is the best fit, especially considering the fresh looking and completely juvenile plumage which is a treadmark of northern (late) breeders. the closest breeding sp., mongolicus would have the scapulars moulted to 2nd generation ones.

cheers

Attached is a pic of an adult Yellow-legged Gull taken in Dartford today. Note how dark the eye is! At a distance, the eye looked black but as with typical Caspian, the iris was not black at close range. The black subterminal mark on P4 can be seen in the closed wing.

Pic also attached of a 2nd winter Yellow-legged Gull.

Cheers,

Andy.

Attachments

• Yellow-Legged Gull.JPG
    Yellow-Legged Gull.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Yellow -legged Gull.JPG
    Yellow -legged Gull.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 66
Attached is a pic of an adult Yellow-legged Gull taken in Dartford today. Note how dark the eye is! At a distance, the eye looked black but as with typical Caspian, the iris was not black at close range. The black subterminal mark on P4 can be seen in the closed wing.

Pic also attached of a 2nd winter Yellow-legged Gull.

Cheers,

Andy.

this is quite rare in mich! have you had a look on underwing? (i mean it looks like a good YLG otherwise)

nice 2nd winter. have you seen this incredibly advanced 2nd winter recently photogr. by jörgen bernsmo? if it is a 2nd winter/cycle
http://www.pbase.com/slisch/image/131973485
http://www.pbase.com/slisch/image/131973463

it has a p10 mirror, and so on...

this is quite rare in mich! have you had a look on underwing? (i mean it looks like a good YLG otherwise)

nice 2nd winter. have you seen this incredibly advanced 2nd winter recently photogr. by jörgen bernsmo? if it is a 2nd winter/cycle
http://www.pbase.com/slisch/image/131973485
http://www.pbase.com/slisch/image/131973463

it has a p10 mirror, and so on...

It does look like a 2nd winter rather than a 3rd winter. Would a 3rd winter ever keep retained 2nd winter greater coverts? (remind me again please - these old greater coverts are 3rd generation??)

Mirror on P10 seems to be something that does pop up every now and then with 2nd winter Yellow-legged Gull although I've not seen one in the field myself.

Adult bird -could this be the bird I photographed at Xmas on the other side of the Thames? Possibly. But I'm pleased that I've finally got a pic that proves beyond doubt that they can have dark irides as several birds have eluded the camera in the past.

Heuglin's - far enough! I barely get graellsii and mich juvs right so I really shouldn't be confusing matters even more!

Cheers,

Andy.

Best I can do with regards the underwing. I had both kids in the car and quite a few gulls to look through (for SBG;)).

But I did get a few shots of several Herring Gulls......

Cheers,

Andy.

Attachments

• adylg.JPG
    adylg.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 67
Hi, have attached a pic of a fully juvenile Common Gull present today in Northern England.Has any correlation been made between northern and eastern populations of Common Gull and retained juvenile plumage/late moult?

Last edited:
yes, pete. it's likely a northern or eastern (heinei?) bird although it can't be proven. some nominate canus apparently can be similarly late. since this is completely juvenile (all scaps?) i'd like to post in on GRF, ok?, we had debates on retarded birds there. let's see what the people with experience in statistics say. anyhow a very unusual sight!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back