• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

want to see an owl (1 Viewer)

crazyfingers

It occurred to me just recently that I have only seen an owl once maybe 15 years ago. I am in Massachusetts, usa, and I live next to about 150 acres of forested conservation land, a mix mainly of about 70% old tall white pine and then various ash, oak and other trees.

I guess I just haven't tried hard enough? Is there any technique besides walking quietly and looking in the branches?

If you want to see an owl, rather than just hear them, you have a couple options that are easier.

This year, with the ongoing irruption, Snowy Owl has to be the top choice. They perch out in the open, either on the ground, fence posts, roofs, silos etc. As has been mentioned on anther thread, eBird is a good resource to find out where they are being seen.

Another easier owl to see is the Short-eared Owl. Being crepuscular, they are often easy to find hunting in the early morning or late evening. On cloudy days I have even seen them in the middle of the day. Again, check eBird for locations. You will also often find them hunting in areas that are frequented by Northern Harriers. They cruise low over grassy fields and marshy areas when they hunt.

If you are out birding and hear crows or jays mobbing something, always check it out. Typically it will be a hawk, but occasionally you will find them harassing an owl. This technique worked for me on a recent Christmas Bird Count when we found two Long-eared Owls.

For most owl species I am satisfied with just hearing them. Often if you try to find them you will end up flushing them and possibly exposing them to harassment by corvids.

Mike

Thanks. ebird suggests that I would best see a snowy owl at the ocean at this time, lakes and ponds are frozen solid. Unfortunately with family commitments I can't really go anywhere but in my back woods.

I Understand about drawing the attention of the crows. Wouldn't want to do that but fortunately my Canon SX50 has amazing reach. I suppose I do need to watch closer to the ground. (There is still a lot of truth in the old Thornton Burgess bird book for children that I read to my kids a while back)

I do hear an owl at night fairly frequently. It's nice. I would like to see one thought and get a photo. Owls are glairingly missing from my list...

Last edited:
Well if you hear them then they must roost nearby. Some people have never heard an owl, let alone seen one :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back