• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Annoying Pheasants (1 Viewer)

Earwig

Hi

A pheasant keeps waking me up every morning at dawn by flapping his wings and squawking. I've tried throwing tennis balls at it but it simply retreats out of range. :stuck:

Loads of them around here too - you get used to the noises they make! :'D

It's when they jump out in front of the car that bugs me!!!

Earwig said:
Hi

A pheasant keeps waking me up every morning at dawn by flapping his wings and squawking. I've tried throwing tennis balls at it but it simply retreats out of range. :stuck:
Hang for three days, then cast-iron casserole, swedes, parsnips, potatoes, stock, sage and onion stuffing and you'll never look back ;)

The glorious whatever it is....

I say shoot it and eat it, if it's good enough for the patron of the RSPB it's should be good enough for you!

PS> As it's out of season don't let anyone know

Difficult one this...

I've never done it but I reckon you should hide in some long grass until a pheasant just about steps on you, leap up at the last second and shout
' BANG, BANG!! ', that should just about annoy the hell out of it.

Scodger

I can deal with pheasants,it's that bloody chicken around here that wakes me up around 05.00 am that does my head in.

for a partial insomniac who struggles to get to sleep by 04.00 it's really irritating to be woken up an hour later by the neighbours chickens!

any chicken recipes welcomed :t:

matt

I know a pair of lapwings that might deal with it for you.
Watched them driving a pair of pheasants away from their nest the other day. A very coordinated attack. One circled then dived at them, smacking them on the head with a wing before wheeling away. I could not tell if the blows where actualy landing on the pheasants head or not but it was very close. The action was as I say, a definate "smack" from the wing. While one lapwing distracted them with this, the other went away a fair distance away, only to return like a bullet just above ground level. This one was moving too fast to attempt any fancy blows, more like a bowl and skittles aproach. This took a long time as the pheasants, not the brightest bird I think, (no offence intended :) only moved a yard or so each pass.

I like Scodger's solution, such revenge would be sweet :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back