• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Painted Lady Invasion (1 Viewer)

mothman

I reckon this must be the best Painted Lady year that I can remember for a long time.

They seem to be outnumbering Small Tortoiseshells by about three to one at the moment here in Wilts.

Is this a pattern all over?
How is it where you are?

Here, an amazing year for butterflies ...with the notable exception of Painted Ladies! Seen only two so far this year, seems they went west!

Is this one of yours Jos ;)

Attachments

• IMG_7739 trimmed_1_1_1.jpg
    IMG_7739 trimmed_1_1_1.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_7768 trimmed_r1_1_1.jpg
    IMG_7768 trimmed_r1_1_1.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
The recent poor weather has reduced the numbers of all species here but a few weeks ago Painted Ladies were one of the commonest species around. I suspect they've all gone back southwards again in search of the sun!

Four in my garden last weekend - never had more than two before.

Totally outnumbered by about 25 peacocks though - also the highest ever total (peacocks were very rare here until about 5 years ago)

Painted Ladies in my garden down here are outnumbering all other butterflies - Red Admirals, Whites, Small Tortoiseshell and more. The buddleia is covered with them and they seem to be bigger than ever and in tip top condition. I've not seen so many all at one time in years!
Nerine

mothman said:
I reckon this must be the best Painted Lady year that I can remember for a long time.

They seem to be outnumbering Small Tortoiseshells by about three to one at the moment here in Wilts.

How is it where you are?

A couple of weeks ago there were tons of them here too, they were covering every Buddleia bush on my patch! In the past week or so I haven't seen much though, bar the odd Speckled Wood, Comma, Red Admiral, Clouded Yellow and Peacock. The weather hasn't been great!

Nerine said:
Painted Ladies in my garden down here are outnumbering all other butterflies - Red Admirals, Whites, Small Tortoiseshell and more. The buddleia is covered with them and they seem to be bigger than ever and in tip top condition. I've not seen so many all at one time in years!
Nerine

Ah, so that's where they've all gone!

It's not been a bad year at all for Painted Ladies, with good number showing up in many parts of the U/K, but the numbers seen this year pale into insignificance compared with 1996 when quite literally millions were seen throughout the whole of Britain.

Harry

A few Painted Ladies here in Aberdeen but numbers have been dwarfed by the huge numbers of Red Admirals that seem to have come in this week. Every Buddleia bush is covered with them.

mothman said:

How is it where you are?

It wouldn't take much to outnumber Small Tortoiseshell in this neck of the woods. I haven't seen a single one in months!! I'm glad to hear there are still some out there.

Phil

A really poor showing for butterflies altogether here in Shetland this summer, or at least in my neck of the woods. A couple of Red Admirals in the early summer, but no Painted Ladies for me until yesterday night, when I found a very worn, small one roosting inside my new glasshouse.

I agree with Harry, it'll take a lot to beat 1996. I remember walking from the car park to the first hide at Elmley RSPB (c.1 1/2 miles?) and trying to count the numbers on the thistles on the sides of the track alone. Estimated c.20,000. I've never before nor after seen anything like it.

Jon

It was nice and sunny, yesterday so I took a look at one of my survey sites on private land. Peacocks and Painted Ladies in hundreds, Wall Browns by the score, Small coppers by the dozen. Large, Small & Green-veined Whites a plenty and a scattering of Commas and Small Tortoiseshells. The Red Admirals seem to have moved on in the last few days but one other migrant butterfly was noted, and it made my day, a single Clouded Yellow.

Common and Southern Hawkers and Common and Ruddy Darters ovipositing but only one species of Damselfly, the Common Emerald was seen.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back