• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have you had a "close encounter " with a bird whilst driving? (1 Viewer)

senatore

I did yesterday whilst driving along a quiet Warwickshire lane when a Common Buzzard flew over a low hedge on my left and across my windsceen no more than 6 feet in front of my car before banking and flying off down the road.

I was a little shocked for a split second but a great experience.Have you had a similar encounter when with a bird when driving?

Max.

senatore said:
I did yesterday whilst driving along a quiet Warwickshire lane when a Common Buzzard flew over a low hedge on my left and across my windsceen no more than 6 feet in front of my car before banking and flying off down the road.

I was a little shocked for a split second but a great experience.Have you had a similar encounter when with a bird when driving?

Max.

I've had a buzzard do just that to me a couple of times, frightens the life out of me! They often seem to appear over hedges and glide low over the roof too, this is made worse by the fact that I regularly carry bikes on the roof and have found myself looking in the rear view mirror to check that it made it across the road and didn't fly into the bike wheels!! Would hate to get one stuck in the spokes!

Last edited:
Blackbirds seem the most suicidal to me, especially in Shropshire. We nearly collected a few of thos as radiator grille ornaments a few weeks ago. They seem to wait in the bushes until you get a lot closer and then dive accross the road. Looks like they're playing chicken...

colonelboris said:
Blackbirds seem the most suicidal to me, especially in Shropshire.

Couldn't agree more! Not hit one so far but had some heart stopping moments.
A neighbour once arrived with a pheasant stuck in the radiator grill. She had hit it and couldn't bear to go near it so drove home with it there. It was still alive and I had a terrible time getting it out, poor thing.

Almost had to use the windshield wipers to clear off a red tail hawk once. Luckily at the last second he turned and veered off to the side. Not sure what he was doing diving towards the car to begin with.

I was in Lesvos a few years back driving along a small road listening for birds when a Little Owl shot through the open window and out the passenger side. I managed to get a few pics before cleaning myself up.

Tom

Last edited:
Had a rook hit the windscreen in front of me full-force. A group of them gathered around roadkill scattered as I appeared and, for some reason, one flew right at the car. A goner straight away, and so nearly was I. Had to stop to calm the nerves...and to clean the windscreen. Yeuch!

Hi Senatore.

Talking about close encounters. I had a bit of a shock on the 17th of May. I was guiding a group of 3 birders from the UK and we were in the Brazo del Este area of Doñana.

Travelling along a track at about 40kmph, between some ricefields, with my window half open, a Zitting Cisticola flew in the window, landed on my shoulder, stayed for about 2 seconds and flew back out of the window.

Two of my clients were very much into photography and I jokingly asked if they had got a picture of it. Of course they replied that they hadn't. My reply was "What's the use of me getting birds close up to you if your not ready with your cameras?"

The bird-flying-through-the-window stories are fantastic!

Best I can come up with was last year while on holiday in the Eden Valley, sort of between Yorkshire and the Lake District. Driving along a very remote road in the large hills/small mountains Dad came to an abrupt halt and said, 'Sam, what's that?' (He's not into birding, but takes me occasionally) I looked out of the other window and saw a male Kestrel perched on a post barely two feet from the car, before flying off a few seconds later.

Also on a road just outside the village my Grampa lives in a Barn Owl is a regular on certain posts on our way home in the late evening. Beautiful! And then we get great flight views as well, all within 10 feet of the car!

Sam

Amazing stories all!
One time I was going through Nevada, and my dad up front says, "Look at that!" I look out my window and there's this adult golden eagle sitting on the side of the road in front of us! As we come up alongside it (going over 60 mph, speed limits on those roads are high!), it took off and started flying alongside the car. So here I am, looking out my van window at this huge bird flapping along the roadside right next to us, looking me right in the eye. It was only the second gloden I'd ever seen, and now that I think on it, I've only seen two. It flew with us for several hundred yards before it veered off to the side and soared away over the prairie.
Other vehicle encounters include a California quail on a post a foot from the window, a bald eagle soaring over the car on Independence day one time(which subsequently caused us to park and hop out to see it soaring), and a barn owl that flew across the road in front of us. Also numerous other viewings of raptors including peregrines, great gray owls, Swainson's hawks, and kestrels.
Oh yeah, and a sparrow flew across the road in fornt of me the other day, a few inches from the windshield. It barely avoided being hit, and I think it bumped the antenna!
Kezza said:
A neighbour once arrived with a pheasant stuck in the radiator grill. She had hit it and couldn't bear to go near it so drove home with it there. It was still alive and I had a terrible time getting it out, poor thing.
Did it live?

Last edited:
This did not happen to me thank goodness but to a friend of mine.He was driving along a road near Maidenhead when a female Mallard (he thinks) smashed through his windscreen and buried itself into his back seat.Luckily the road was not busy and he was able to pull up safely allthough very shaken.

Max.

I was once nearly knocked off a motorbike by what I can only assume was an unseen bird hitting my chest. The impact actually winded me and was such a shock I thought I had been shot. I never saw the bird and was some way down the road by the time I was sufficiently recovered to pull over and check for what I confidently expected to be a hole in my chest. There was no sign at all of any impact.

Another, far less distressing occurrence was when driving slowly down a very narrow lane on Kent / E Sussex border one dark night. The road had high hedges either side and was almost like a sunken way. As I came round a corner I saw a Barn Own in the middle of the road ahead. I slowed and watched it, waiting for it to fly off. It didn't, so I put my headlights off and my sidelights on in case it was confused by the sudden bright lights. Still no movement so I got out the car to see if it was ok. The Owl waited till I was about 3 metres away and lazily flew about 10 - 15 metres ahead. I returned to the car expecting it to finally fly of as I approached. It didn't move though, not even when I slowly approached to within 1 metre. The above sequence was repeated another 2 times before it finally decided to fly off. I suspect that the "depth" of the lane between the trees, combined with disorientation from my lights to have been the cause of the closest views of a wild Barn Owl that I ever expect to see.

Kezza said:

TCondorOwl92 said:
Did it live?

To be honest, I'm afraid I don't know! I took it to our local wildlife hospital but went on holiday just after and I'm afraid I failed to ring them to find out, I've often wondered. Another neighbour had wanted to put it out of its misery with the help of a brick :eek!: It least I know the hospital would have done everything they could for it, they are excellent, so it had a chance.

Amazing story about the eagle! Hope I get to see one someday.
This was a photo I took of a Buzzard, about ten feet away that we passed one day. Sorry if it looks awful to any photographers out there, I only have a basic cheap camera! I was just pleased to have captured him before he took off.

Last edited:
We were out early one morning and 5 partridges flew above us.The middle one decided to commit suicide and came slap bang into the front of our car.
Really spoilt our day.Fortunately,that's the only bird we have hit. B :)

Car accidents?

My bird close encounter is not very exciting - a pigeon flew into the side of the car last year. Made quite a thump but it managed to fly off so no harm done.

I was wondering today when I was driving if anyone has had an accident as a result of birdwatching while driving? I have had a few close shaves looking up at things and suddenly realising that the traffic ahead has stopped. I keep trying to be more sensible but it's so hard not to look - today's distraction was a hobby over the A1. Do you think birdwatching should be regarded as a dangerous sport?

Helen

senatore said:

Max.

senatore said:
As a birdwatcher is it possible to "switch off" when you are driving? I'm not sure I can !!!

Max.

Me neither. This lunchtime I was driving along watching what looked like the world's biggest corvid flock in a recently mown grassfield - about half a mile of densely packed crows, rooks and jackdaws all beak-down in the grass.

Also this lunchtime had the car dive-bombed by a pair of curlews. I couldnt work out why until I stopped and saw what must have been their chick in the verge, quite unconcerned with my presence. I didnt think it right to linger, but what a great view of a young wader - all of 5 feet away, and pretty impressive flight from the adults too!

I've had loads of close incounters. I totally agree with sucidial Shropshire blackbirds! i've had plenty of buzzards nearly hitting the car and a robin nesting in my conservatory. Also had both swifts and house martins fly into the house on many occasions as they nest in to roof and above the windows.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back