• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

camcorder teleconverter (1 Viewer)

Mary

Has anyone used a 2x teleconverter with a camcorder, please? Just wondering if they're worth it?! Thanks

Last edited:
Has anyone used a 2x teleconverter with a camcorder, please? Just wondering if they're with it?! Thanks
Hi Mary,
I use one on my Sony camcorder (its a genuine Sony 2xTC) its fine and in my opinion better than using dreadful digital zooms.
Make sure you get a good make preferably to match your camcorder, I used to have a beauty a couple of years ago a 4x Tokina you have to manually focus it but the quality was really good! they are very rare to find but they do turn up on Ebay now and again.
They are approx 5" long and built like a real SLR lens.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Brian
Ps best accessory for any camera is a tripod/monopod makes your videos look more professional.
Cheers

Has anyone used a 2x teleconverter with a camcorder, please? Just wondering if they're with it?! Thanks

Use a Kenko 2x on my sony camcorder ( with stepping rig from 25 or 28mm ( I forget) to 37mm ( the ring came with the lens ), and also with a lensmate adapter on my Canon powershot A95. It works well, and wasn't that expensive, less than £20 anyway!

Many thanks, Brian & Alan. I too have a Sony, and they are Sony 2x I have seen on Amazon, so I'm encouraged by what you've said. I've been told (in a camera shop) that you have to zoom in before adding the converter, otherwise you get a 'halo' effect. Is this right? I can't see how to find a bird at 40x mag! And it would probably have gone by then anyway! If this 'halo' effect does happen, how much difference does it make to quality etc?
I agree about having a tri /monopod, I just haven't used mine much as it seems to reduce freedom of movement - I tend to hold my breath as much as possible while filming!! So if you see someone with a camcorder and bright purple face- it's probably me!!

Many thanks, Brian & Alan. I too have a Sony, and they are Sony 2x I have seen on Amazon, so I'm encouraged by what you've said. I've been told (in a camera shop) that you have to zoom in before adding the converter, otherwise you get a 'halo' effect. Is this right?

Not noticed this effect on mine?. Guess it may depend on the camera lens size and the teleconverter lens size?

Many thanks, Brian & Alan. I too have a Sony, and they are Sony 2x I have seen on Amazon, so I'm encouraged by what you've said. I've been told (in a camera shop) that you have to zoom in before adding the converter, otherwise you get a 'halo' effect. Is this right? I can't see how to find a bird at 40x mag! And it would probably have gone by then anyway! If this 'halo' effect does happen, how much difference does it make to quality etc?
I agree about having a tri /monopod, I just haven't used mine much as it seems to reduce freedom of movement - I tend to hold my breath as much as possible while filming!! So if you see someone with a camcorder and bright purple face- it's probably me!!
Hi Mary,
regarding the halo effect, i think they mean vignetting? when you zoom out with the TC on there isn't any (the same thing happens on still cameras etc and 99% of the time you won't even notice it) the Sony TC's are fine.
Cheers
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back