• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why does Nikon make the best binoculars in the world? (1 Viewer)

I guess the focuser on the Nikon 8x30EII in cold weather is it's "Achilles Heel"esp. for the price they want for these today if you can find them.

And the fact that they aren't waterproof, fogproof, or dustproof and they aren't as durable as a good roof. Makes them a poor choice for a hunter or a jungle or rainforest birder. The EII or SE are the best values in fair weather birding binocular available although I would put the Sightron SII Blue Sky's up there with them in value. For around $150.00 they are hard to beat and they are waterproof.

I guess the focuser on the Nikon 8x30EII in cold weather is it's "Achilles Heel"esp. for the price they want for these today if you can find them.

Focusing does get pretty stiff and slow below freezing, but they have never seized up on me like, say, my Yosemites. It pays to get good at pre-focusing in all weathers with the EIIs. Honestly, the lack of waterproofing is somewhat overstated; I bird in drizzle and rain all the time, religiously using the EP cover. My real reservation is the lack of armoring or shock-proofing. I do baby them.

David

Focusing does get pretty stiff and slow below freezing, but they have never seized up on me like, say, my Yosemites. It pays to get good at pre-focusing in all weathers with the EIIs. Honestly, the lack of waterproofing is somewhat overstated; I bird in drizzle and rain all the time, religiously using the EP cover. My real reservation is the lack of armoring or shock-proofing. I do baby them.

David

The peeling armour is an issue on the older grey body models also. Even with all their quirks it is hard to beat their performance for $450.00. Those three models of Nikon's are hard to beat. The SE,EII and the EDG in any magnification are right up there at the top of my list. All legendary.

I had some little Nikons that were stolen from my car when the car was stolen. I replaced them with some little Olympus' which I think are better. I'm afraid I've never seen anything better than my Carl Zeiss Jena Octarem 8x50Bs ... I have some Nobilem Super 8 x 50s which are nice as well ... I'm not saying Nikon make bad binoculars, I just don't think they're worth buying when you have a set of Octarems .... having said that ... I'll try some Nikons some time to see what the fuss is about. I'm a porro man! :)

I had some little Nikons that were stolen from my car when the car was stolen. I replaced them with some little Olympus' which I think are better. I'm afraid I've never seen anything better than my Carl Zeiss Jena Octarem 8x50Bs ... I have some Nobilem Super 8 x 50s which are nice as well ... I'm not saying Nikon make bad binoculars, I just don't think they're worth buying when you have a set of Octarems .... having said that ... I'll try some Nikons some time to see what the fuss is about. I'm a porro man! :)

If I were a porro man such as yourself (which I definitely am) I would feel compelled to sneak a look through an 8x30 EII or 8x32 SE.

Everyone sees things a little different but when about 90% of the people who have used/owned them and even a great many reviewers who prefer roofs rave about the fantastic views in the Nikons porros I would have to rate them just a little better than "not saying their bad binoculars".

Hope you get a chance to look through some,who knows, maybe you'll be one the 90% who thinks they're something special.

Steve

If I were a porro man such as yourself (which I definitely am) I would feel compelled to sneak a look through an 8x30 EII or 8x32 SE.

Everyone sees things a little different but when about 90% of the people who have used/owned them and even a great many reviewers who prefer roofs rave about the fantastic views in the Nikons porros I would have to rate them just a little better than "not saying their bad binoculars".

Hope you get a chance to look through some,who knows, maybe you'll be one the 90% who thinks they're something special.

Steve

For perhaps the first time in my life, I find myself part of the majority. :)

Indeed, the SE and EII are bins worthy of a Viking!

But Good Luck! finding a store that sells the EIIs. My 10x EII came from the Hong Kong dealer that's no longer allowed to sell them to US buyers by orders of the Nikon High Command. But perhaps it can sell EIIs to European buyers.

Having owned all three of them - SE, EII and Octarem, I found that although the Octarem is a good quality porro (the view was very similar to my 501 8x32 SE) and well suited for the dim light that Jon would get in Norway during the winter (or any time of year if he lives in northern Norway above the Arctic Circle), the latest SE coatings and even a 2000 EII's coatings are better than the Octarem's, showing more color saturation, contrast and more neutral color.

The older MCs gave the Octarem a slight greenish cast, which was noticeable when light levels were low - when I used them the most.

They also have a stray light problem. At certain angles to the sun, I could see light reflecting in the EPs, which was distracting. This also manifested itself as a diffuse ring of light around the edge of the field, most notably on the night sky.

Other than looking beautiful and feeling great in the hand, optically the Octarem didn't offer me anything more than the SE or EII until light levels got really dim, then it "shined". It really pulled the detail out of a poorly lit landscape.

Ergonomically, they fit my large hands well, but users with smaller hands might have a hard time reaching the focuser.

Maybe in Norway, the Octarem is an all year rounder, but for me, it was a specialty bin.

"I'm not saying the Octarems are bad binoculars" :), but even in Cloudy Valley, they were overkill most of the time. They are probably a lot more useful in Norway.

Brock

Last edited:
The Zeiss is kind of "clunky" but it's really short for its magnification. In the enclosed pic the Zeiss is beside a Nikon SE 12x50 and the Zeiss is actually shorter than the SE, albeit quite a bit "fatter".

If you are asking about best 8x porro for me it would probably be the 8x30 EII. I'm really liking my little Habicht but the 8x30 EII 's wide fov and great ergonomics are a hard combination to beat.

Steve

Steve,

That's a fine collection of porro's you have there! (and a fair whack of Nikon's to boot) ....

No room in there for the (newish) body incarnation of the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED Porro ?

Not meaning to be too controversial in this thread (especially since "Howard" has faded into welcome obscurity :t: ), but I think it's a fair bet that Nikon doesn't make the best 8.5x bin in the world .....

Now, if only we could combine an 8.5x with the 600ft FOV (in Dennis' other thread), with that EDGII view, "buttery smooth" focuser, Swaro's 20mm ER and waterproofing, the 8x30EII's low weight, and Zen-Ray pricing, then we'd all really have something to discuss !!

Chosun :gh:

Steve,

That's a fine collection of porro's you have there! (and a fair whack of Nikon's to boot) ....

No room in there for the (newish) body incarnation of the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED Porro ?

Not meaning to be too controversial in this thread (especially since "Howard" has faded into welcome obscurity :t: ), but I think it's a fair bet that Nikon doesn't make the best 8.5x bin in the world .....

Now, if only we could combine an 8.5x with the 600ft FOV (in Dennis' other thread), with that EDGII view, "buttery smooth" focuser, Swaro's 20mm ER and waterproofing, the 8x30EII's low weight, and Zen-Ray pricing, then we'd all really have something to discuss !!

I preordered these to try. All the specifications look good and I especially like the 477 foot FOV which is wider than an EII. I will write a review when I get them.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-talon-hd-8x32-binoculars.html

Steve,

Is kind of odd that a porro fan doesn't have a Swift Audubon and I've actually thought about getting one, just not sure which model. Some say the older models are better, some say the newer ED versions, a little confusing :eek!: if your not familiar with the specific models.

Steve

Is kind of odd that a porro fan doesn't have a Swift Audubon and I've actually thought about getting one, just not sure which model. Some say the older models are better, some say the newer ED versions, a little confusing :eek!: if your not familiar with the specific models.

Steve

Everything I have heard about the Swift Audubon say it doesn't measure up to the Nikon SE or EII's so I don't have alot of motivation to try them.

Everything I have heard about the Swift Audubon say it doesn't measure up to the Nikon SE or EII's so I don't have alot of motivation to try them.

I'll try to find some reviews on some of the different models here or over on CN. Seems like they would have to be pretty good binos, they've certainly sold enough of them over the years.

Steve

I preordered these to try. All the specifications look good and I especially like the 477 foot FOV which is wider than an EII. I will write a review when I get them.

http://www.opticsplanet.net/vortex-talon-hd-8x32-binoculars.html

Dennis,

Kudos to you. I'm sure plenty of folk will be interested how they compare to the Sightrons / SE's /EII's, and even the EDG II's !

It would also be interesting to see how it benchmarks against the larger Zen ED3's /similar.

With a 9* field (72* AFOV =64.6*["Iso"]), I 'spose one of the biggest questions on folk's minds will be what are the edges / and sweet spot like?
(and also which, out of the Sightron / Talon's will be next to appear on eboy!) ;)

I note that the 'blurb' on the Optics Planet link you posted says,
"Twist up or down eyecups make it possible for wearers of eyeglasses to use the Talon HD binoculars without discomfort, ..... "

Given that the ER is only listed at 15.2mm, I doubt that I'd get the full FOV, and so I'm out .....
(apparently my annoyance will cause me no discomfort!) :C
Good fortune, for those that the bin fits ....

Some of the other stuff in the advertising blurb just hurts my ribs I'm laughing that hard ..... :-O
"Vortex has constructed the Talon HD with an intuitive center focus wheel that adjusts the focus of both barrels at the same time, ..... " :eek!:

WOW!

A revolution then !! (I'll have some of what you're having boys! .....) :hippy:

Can't wait to hear what they're like .... (any ETA yet?)

Steve

Steve,

I have read (although can't remember where) that the basic design parameters of 8.5x44 were derived from some study of typical birding distances and viewing habits ....

Here's a review of the "old" body style 820ED 8.5X44 over on www.binomania.it
http://translate.googleusercontent....ed.php&usg=ALkJrhilMWG7Y3j0qbCAi_6cv69XEECScw

I've asked Piergiovanni (although that post of his is ~6 months old) if he has made any further progress on reviewing the "new" body style here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2381197&postcount=53

"g.e.o." has the new style in hand, and may be able to offer more info (from the same thread)
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2211720&postcount=39

The allbino's review (of the "old" style body):
http://www.allbinos.com/158-binoculars_review-Swift_Optics_820_ED_Audubon_8.5x44.html
mainly marks down for distortions, blurring of the outer 1/4 of what is a very wide field, internal reflections, and mechanical issues (eyecups, bridge flex, narrow ipd with a max of 71.1mm - which should suit most, bar Andre the Giant!) - tr%, CA control are noted to be "very" good

The "new" body / mechanical package, is meant to improve on these areas (I wonder if there is any improvement to the slowish focus?), and the optics have always received big wraps.

Here's the new model advertised over at EO for $469 (but listed as out of stock)
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/swift/swift-audubon-8-5x44-ed-porro-prism-binocular

Will be interesting to hear more on these ..... (I certainly wouldn't crawl over a pair to get to a Monarch X ! sorry Dennis!) ;)

Dennis,

Kudos to you. I'm sure plenty of folk will be interested how they compare to the Sightrons / SE's /EII's, and even the EDG II's !

It would also be interesting to see how it benchmarks against the larger Zen ED3's /similar.

With a 9* field (72* AFOV =64.6*["Iso"]), I 'spose one of the biggest questions on folk's minds will be what are the edges / and sweet spot like?
(and also which, out of the Sightron / Talon's will be next to appear on eboy!) ;)

I note that the 'blurb' on the Optics Planet link you posted says,
"Twist up or down eyecups make it possible for wearers of eyeglasses to use the Talon HD binoculars without discomfort, ..... "

Given that the ER is only listed at 15.2mm, I doubt that I'd get the full FOV, and so I'm out .....
(apparently my annoyance will cause me no discomfort!) :C
Good fortune, for those that the bin fits ....

Some of the other stuff in the advertising blurb just hurts my ribs I'm laughing that hard ..... :-O
"Vortex has constructed the Talon HD with an intuitive center focus wheel that adjusts the focus of both barrels at the same time, ..... " :eek!:

WOW!

A revolution then !! (I'll have some of what you're having boys! .....) :hippy:

Can't wait to hear what they're like .... (any ETA yet?)

They are like 3 to 5 weeks out. All the specifications fit me perfect including ER since I don't wear glasses so the edges will be the big question at a 9.1 degree field. I am curious to see how they compare to an EII which is 8.8 degrees. This is the first 8x with that wide of a field in a roof so they should be interesting. They are under 20 oz. which is nice. I have a feeling they are going to be a little better than the Sightrons but they are more expensive. Hopefully the focus won't be as stiff. I had an Amazon Gift Card for $100.00 so I really only have $339.00 in them. Not bad. We'll see.

They are like 3 to 5 weeks out. All the specifications fit me perfect including ER since I don't wear glasses so the edges will be the big question at a 9.1 degree field. I am curious to see how they compare to an EII which is 8.8 degrees. This is the first 8x with that wide of a field in a roof so they should be interesting. They are under 20 oz. which is nice. I have a feeling they are going to be a little better than the Sightrons but they are more expensive. Hopefully the focus won't be as stiff. I had an Amazon Gift Card for $100.00 so I really only have $339.00 in them. Not bad. We'll see.

Dennis,

With dielectric coatings, and ED glass, I would bl**dy well hope so! |:d|

I have a feeling that they'll be sought by a similar sort of "value proposition" buyer (i.e. 'huge' market), although a level one step up.

If the Zeiss Victory HT thread is anything to go by, I wonder how much speculation and 'virtual' analysis folks here can generate in 3 to 5 weeks on eitanaltman's thread : http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=213973&highlight=vortex+8x32 :-O

I'm jealous of all the non-eyeglass wearers already!

Steve,

I have read (although can't remember where) that the basic design parameters of 8.5x44 were derived from some study of typical birding distances and viewing habits ....

Here's a review of the "old" body style 820ED 8.5X44 over on www.binomania.it
http://translate.googleusercontent....ed.php&usg=ALkJrhilMWG7Y3j0qbCAi_6cv69XEECScw

I've asked Piergiovanni (although that post of his is ~6 months old) if he has made any further progress on reviewing the "new" body style here:
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2381197&postcount=53

"g.e.o." has the new style in hand, and may be able to offer more info (from the same thread)
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2211720&postcount=39

The allbino's review (of the "old" style body):
http://www.allbinos.com/158-binoculars_review-Swift_Optics_820_ED_Audubon_8.5x44.html
mainly marks down for distortions, blurring of the outer 1/4 of what is a very wide field, internal reflections, and mechanical issues (eyecups, bridge flex, narrow ipd with a max of 71.1mm - which should suit most, bar Andre the Giant!) - tr%, CA control are noted to be "very" good

The "new" body / mechanical package, is meant to improve on these areas (I wonder if there is any improvement to the slowish focus?), and the optics have always received big wraps.

Here's the new model advertised over at EO for $469 (but listed as out of stock)
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/swift/swift-audubon-8-5x44-ed-porro-prism-binocular

Will be interesting to hear more on these ..... (I certainly wouldn't crawl over a pair to get to a Monarch X ! sorry Dennis!) ;)

Chosun

Great info/links. Many thanks.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back