• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (3 Viewers)

Ahhh..."the horror...the horror"...[i can see Marlon Brando now]....;)

ps...your picture makes me wanna see the original H.G Wells The War of The Worlds...again....[or the inspired The Tripods]....all connected, as you know, to Darwin....etc

And the smallest creatures upon the earth saved mankind....and so on...;)

ps...been a long time since i climbed Mt.Kinabalu...wondrous place...:cat:

All the best Ads...:t:

Ha ha yeah I did, but horizantally would've been preferable I know that much (maybe even today my brain's trying to forget the bit in between and just remember the summit bit!).....but look at the time it was posted H - I'd had a looonnngggg day! ;) Doh! Cheers for spotting that glaring blooper mate, all changed now ;) Oh dear oh dear oh dear.....

User, bizarrely I had the Tripods on yday actually.....classic stuff!

Last edited:
More done.....added a few more landscape artefacts, removed some others....roughed the roller in....not 100% on it though - we'll see if it survives ;) Not sure on the fallentree now either....Starlings and dead tortoises :)t:) are sketched and ready to go in...just gotta work the foregound space to give it a bit more detail. Flames have been reworked slightly to give a bit more form (a bizarre term to use for fire...maybe texture would be better! ;)) and the whole landscape has been toned down as it was looking a little more sandy than burned. Main trees have been worked to basically a finished level, but no doubt there will be further tinkering! Have been blocking in the birds with layers as I've been going and am happy that when the detailing's done, the birds will sit nicely within the landscape - not too bold but not too understated either...so the aim is to have the landscape front and back done today so it'll give me the rest of the week to finish the subjects.

Kruger BBQ - all you can eat! WIP (5) (Large).jpg

As a diversion, have just been watching a Grey Heron in the garden (1st time seen one actually in it) that must've taken shelter from the gales and seems very loathe to fly away...cool!

Last edited:
coming along superbly, and the great thing about coming into the thread this late, I haven't had to wait for each new installment, it's like the Sunday omnibus. Wonderful composition and very bold movements, sort of puts me in mind of how I imagine Macbeth's witches to be.

Next step....worked in the fallen tree more and am happier with it now although it might need just a click down in tone as will the roller, just mute the colour slightly as it's quite 'loud' at present. Got bored with painting burnt grasses and twigs so have moved onto the left-hand bird - just gotta do the legs more justice (I hate doing legs and feet!) The first crispy-fried tortoise has gone in and fits in really well I think, just gotta squeeze another one there for the others to be enjoying. Still not loving the fire....will fiddle with that nearer the end...oh well, back to the daily grind ;)

Kruger BBQ - all you can eat! WIP (6) (Large).jpg

Next step....worked in the fallen tree more and am happier with it now although it might need just a click down in tone as will the roller, just mute the colour slightly as it's quite 'loud' at present. Got bored with painting burnt grasses and twigs so have moved onto the left-hand bird - just gotta do the legs more justice (I hate doing legs and feet!) The first crispy-fried tortoise has gone in and fits in really well I think, just gotta squeeze another one there for the others to be enjoying. Still not loving the fire....will fiddle with that nearer the end...oh well, back to the daily grind ;)

View attachment 346255

brilliant- makes big difference to the intensity and focus of the scene to have the crispy tortoise in place

Another day, another bird done....oh, and some more tortoise chargrill of course...crunchy on the outside, crispy on the inside ;)

Krguer BBQ - all you can eat! WIP (7) (Large).jpg

Wow! A quite superb piece almost completed. I love the bit of 'smokey tortoise' about to be consumed! That's brill!

Russ

Another all-nighter....I'm only positive which day as to what's being shown on TV...10yrs...bloody hell. So the Painting, glossy-starlings are in, 3 basically finished, the right one needs a bit more but I was seeing double by half 7 this morning so thought I'd best stop ;) Found some reference for some big 'ole bugs for them to be interested in too which works pretty cool, whether they're true African bugs or not, I care not a jot! As to the rest, just need to finish off the right-hand hornbill, do all their legs 'n' feet (yuk!) - note how the right starling is hiding the hornbill's feet behind it (to give it scale of course ;)) what a bit of luck ;)...and need to pay a bit more attention to the face wattles and just faff with the flames a bit more and also push the tallest termite mound back more (which I keep forgetting to actually do!)
So hopefully it'll be done for tomorrow, have recycled an older frame so should be able to get it in for submission day. Still a pain in the bum they've changed it - what was wrong with Fridays and Saturdays...??

Kruger BBQ - all you can eat! WIP (8) (Large).jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back