• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leica 10x42 BL or swarovski slc 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Buy the Swarovski, if there is something wrong you want the warranty of Swarovski not the waiting game of the Leica warranty.

Buy the Swarovski, if there is something wrong you want the warranty of Swarovski not the waiting game of the Leica warranty.

i think that the service from leica is improved , so i want to know or the leica BL is of a strong build (i know that the slc is ) and that the BL is waterproof ??
and has someone experience using a BL ??

The Ultravid BL is waterproof. The optical and mechanical construction is the same as for the BR, only there is leather instead of rubber armoring. The only durability issue that stems from this is that with the leather covering, there are more surfaces that are black-anodized metal, and these can scratch and, over many years, do start looking old in that classy sort of way that vintage binoculars do. They are lighter and more slender than the rubber-armored models, and in my personal opinion, look really nice. I have a friend who has one and is very happy with it. If I were wealthy enough to be a collector, a 10x42 Ultravid BL would be a binocular I would get just for the enjoyment of having one.

Kimmo

using a 10x42 BL

I would use it a lot in the field for birdwatching if i bought it .

Hi Pimpelmees,

Birdwatching, nature watching, stargazing etc, is what I have extensively employed my 10x42 BL to do for me throughout the last 3 years. Every night I am out observing, i have them around my neck. I tend to go on bush/nature/birdwatching walks at least 4 times a month. My three children have used them as well and that means changing the ipd all the time. I unfortunately knocked the body on sharp rocks when mountain climbing once and they have fully fell and swam in a little creek and on another time were partially and momentarily submerged in salty water at the beach - luckily that time no sand made its way into the back of the focus knob that time, otherwise i would feel the grinding every time I focussed requiring Leica service. Anyhow after all of these misadventures, I can report to you no damage other than a couple of tiny microscopic nicks is all that I can observe on the barrel and on the back of the focuser. The bino still performs perfectly at all times.

Another matter worth mentioning is that when I first bought them I was a bit apprehensive of using them like I do now. At the moment I am not scared to give them a flogging. I now think that this model is just as suitable for a collector who will never use them on the field as for a hard core user. After using them for a while the only criticisms I have are these: CA is visible but just as much as most other alphas - give or take a bit. The second issue is that they are cold in wintery and windy conditions if you're not gloved up. For some reason the pair I have seem to transmit the feeling of coldness to the hands a lot more than any other bino I have ever used. The cold temperature is more apparent on this model, than on the BR which has rubber rather than faux leather - perhaps a less suitable insulator. By the same token, when out observing at night, they never fog up - compared to other binos I have simultaneously used on cold nights.

I think it would be worth your while to check out other threads, learn as much as you can and compare the pros and cons of what users have to say about the swaros, zeiss and the like before pulling the trigger as you are making a serious and expensive investment and it will most likely prove painful if you get it wrong.

Happy birding and good luck with your choice.

Wal.

Hi,
iv'e been using Leica Ultravid 10x42 BLs for nearly 4 years now. Opticaly, they are outstanding and regarding robustness, they still look like new.
Trust me, you wont be dissapointed.

Hi,
yes I've used them in rain, snow, hot and cold climates and I can't fault them. Also, the leatherette finish on the barrels is in fact not leather, but a tough thermo-plastic. I have a few friends who own the Ultravid BRs and after a while the rubber finish becomes loose, shiny and misshapen. Bearing this in mind you can always have them re-covered by Leica (BR or BL). One other thing, the BLs come with a beautiful leather, felt-lined oyster case. The BRs come with a cordura case (cheap and nasty by comparison).
Also, the BLs are much lighter than anything caked in rubber and this makes all the difference (you can hold them perfectly still.
I hope this helps.

And how about the stiffening of focus wheel? In the BA series, it was sometimes a serious problem and I've heard it is still so with the BL. I want to buy also a 10x42 BL mostly because of his light weight and his elegant looks, but I hesitate between the new HD Leica in which the focus problems are gone.

And how about the stiffening of focus wheel? In the BA series, it was sometimes a serious problem and I've heard it is still so with the BL. I want to buy also a 10x42 BL mostly because of his light weight and his elegant looks, but I hesitate between the new HD Leica in which the focus problems are gone.

The focuser is very much silky smooth on the HD model. I do not think you will find a BL that good. If you can live with that then the BL will not disappoint otherwise. My ideal binocular would be a BL with HD focuser and the CA-less quality of my Nikon 10x70 IF SP WP. Somehow, I don't think that's going to happen any time soon....

The focuser is very much silky smooth on the HD model. I do not think you will find a BL that good. If you can live with that then the BL will not disappoint otherwise. My ideal binocular would be a BL with HD focuser and the CA-less quality of my Nikon 10x70 IF SP WP. Somehow, I don't think that's going to happen any time soon....

Three years ago I bought a cherry 8x42 BR, best optics in the store but had a bad ratchety focus control. I got it for a good discount as the HDs were just being released and promptly sent it back to Leica with a note about the bad focus. It took them a few months, but the bin was returned with a much smoother, upgraded focuser, now my bin has great optics coupled with a smooth HD-like focuser. I imagine you could do that to if you bought a BL and didn't like the focuser.

John

Last edited:

the latest BL's have the leica HD focussing system now, so no problems anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back