• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why does Nikon make the best binoculars in the world? (1 Viewer)

I doubt I will ever sell the Fury's. I like the
m every bit as much as the Sightrons and 6.5x is perfect for me.

Is this thread still going? I tossed a few bids at those nikons linked a while back for under $500. They arent under 500 anymore. ;)

I got to play with the fury's alongside the sightron this weekend. (I gave the fury's away a while ago as a gift, so I'd been working on memory. )

GREAT focus wheel on the fury. nice and smooth an fast. I love it. However everything I recalled re the eyecups / FOV issues not working for me was dead on. Obviously very nice image, and great build quality. That said, for me, I'd take the SII 10 times out of 10. Incidentally, the recipient of the Fury's stated just the opposite. Nice to have difference choices for different eyes!:t:

I had mine out yesterday on one of those rare mirage free days. I'm still amazed.

Bruce

I like the way the Fury's handle and feel in my hands. Very good balance, very smooth focus, wide sweet spot and fairly sharp right to the edges. Very clear,

I like the feel of them more than the Sightron's, the optics are very close but the sightrons are better imo.

I have three great pair of bins (add the EO Rangers) and all for $500. How could one do better for new bins?

And to stay slightly on topic I'll take the Sightrons or the Fury's over my Monarch 3s any day of the week.

Last edited:
Focusing is smooth. I don't notice the weight. If you've never had a pair before then they might seem heavy at first but you get used to it. I keep mine at 12x and love the distances I can identify birds at that I wouldn't be able to at 8x. Twice the price now than when I bought mine 5 years ago. Why would Leica do that?

I have never heard of a birder using those. Interesting especially using them at 12x. You don't shake at 12x?

Could you keep BirdForum free of spam advertisements? :C

Just in case, if any novice didn't know, Nikon binoculars are B- or C- class.

PS. If it was purposefuly sarcastic/trolling thread, the place for it is Ruffled Feathers section.

Leica make the best bins. I don't known any real birder who would bother with Nikon bins. Maybe just "Optics lovers".

cheers, a

How many thinks this "Dennis" person is for real?

I don't. I think it's just a glitch...

Last edited:
Could you keep BirdForum free of spam advertisements? :C

Just in case, if any novice didn't know, Nikon binoculars are B- or C- class.

PS. If it was purposefuly sarcastic/trolling thread, the place for it is Ruffled Feathers section.

"Just in case, if any novice didn't know, Nikon binoculars are B- or C- class"

Yes. I agree with that. "Only a NOVICE would think Nikon's are B- or C- class"

Leica make the best bins. I don't known any real birder who would bother with Nikon bins. Maybe just "Optics lovers".

cheers, a

Most birder like Nikon's because they have better optics than Leicas and their focus doesn't focus doesn't feel like there is sand in it. Sorry, but I have had ALOT of Leicas and every one had a nitty gritty and over tighty focus wheel!

I just grabbed EDG 8x32 series I at a local optics shop. Price $495 seemed a little high, but I went for it.

optics are clean, but the case has some marks on it. I'll send them back to Nikon and see what they can do.

Review/comparison w/ SII and LT forthcoming.

OK, I jsut compared them. The Nikons are in fact the very best ever. I cant believe how much better they seem, handle, and look. Glass is clear to the edges, and the focus wheel is buttery smooth. "TACK sharp optics". They may even be worth 2x the price of a sightron.

OK, just received personal handwritten note from NIkon... no replacement cases, so they will ship a brand new prototype EDGIII in its stead.

Review on its way.

EDG III prototype is likely the best bino released yet. They came in DHL today and so far I am blown away.

Shipping them to Dennis right now so he can try them out.

The EDGIII have been gone for a little while, and I am surprised to say I dont miss them as much as I thought.

I have several other binos with equivalent centerfield sharpness and wider FOV. Though the edges arent as good, I only bird in the centerfield so its really moot. Nice glass, but nothing singular.

I plan on selling the EDGIII prototypes for what I paid plus shipping. They are on route to Dennis now, so if anyone is interested PM him re the EDGIII. I figure total cost of $510 is sufficient and a fair price considering.

PM Dennis for all details, as they are no longer in my posession.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back