• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Endurance test of binoculars (1 Viewer)

Arguments always do sound more compelling when positioned against a giant strawman ;)
Read the review very, very carefully.
Leica was, in a word, excoriated. Zeiss was declared, in a word, victorious.

The language used was unnecessarily hostile, unscientific, and argumentative. That's obvious to anyone not yet infected with Internet fever.

At a minimum Leica should have been informed of the results and, prior to publication, been given an opportunity to deliver watertight specimens or explain the cause of failure. To openly accuse Leica of lying without any additional evidence is truly unprofessional. "According to the specifications the Leica Geovid HD-M is waterproof up to a depth of 5 meters. We don’t hesitate to say the producers don’t tell the truth." http://www.allbinos.com/18.11-binoc...f_8x42_binoculars_Leica_Geovid_8x42_HD-M.html

PS
Interesting thread...

It's coming. I waited for all types of conditions and it took awhile to get a gloomy / misty day. Now I just need to write up the results.

James:

It is good to hear you finally got the one you have long waited for.

Now since you posted on the endurance thread, help us all out by giving it
the treatment. Put it in the freezer tonight, dunk it to at least 1 meter, and
drop it 2-3 times.
The FL did very well in the tests here, and I am thinking the HT will do just
as well, as it was designed by hunters for hunters.

Sorry, to give you a hard time, I respect your opinion. ;)

I just thought this thread needed a little more controversy.

Jerry

I was also surprised that Leica failed the waterproof test. Now I'm happy that I ordered Swarovision binoculars a few weeks ago.

• Right, your task is to juggle different models for us, and tell us what finally stays in your hands.
Frank with the number of binos you dropped don't apply for a job in the circus as a juggler.....Eddy

• Arek is being put through an endurance test here and coming out pretty well, 40+ out of 50, I'd say.

• This is a remarkble thread with many opinions "polarised" on several issues. So I too will chip in: some suggest he /Allbinos could have just stopped at presenting the results, but then there certainly would have been the outcry, "We expected more of you - where's your analysis..."

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing that out Eitan.

Consider the amount of time they are in my hands or even within a foot of me on any given day. I would probably end up sleeping with some of them but the future Mrs said no toys in bed.

Frank, some of the IS bins may change that! |8.| (o)< 8-P :smoke:

Chosun :gh:

Bob, just yesterday I read in the 2013 Feb. issue of the Brit. mag. Birdwatching, in a small news item on the Uv. 8x32: Leica has updated its Ultravid range, refining and optimising the internal mechanisms and materials ... BTW, I wrote to Leica as an owner requesting a response on the "surprising and disturbing" matter in the AllBinos test. PS If you omit the scores for the water test the L. Geovid is at the top of the list! Copying from Dennis's post: HaHaHa ...

Last edited:
Bob, just yesterday I read in the 2013 Feb. issue of the Brit. mag. Birdwatching, in a small news item on the Uv. 8x32: Leica has updated its Ultravid range, refining and optimising the internal mechanisms and materials ... BTW, I wrote to Leica as an owner requesting a response on the "surprising and disturbing" matter in the AllBinos test. PS If you omit the scores for the water test the L. Geovid is at the top of the list! Copying from Dennis's post: HaHaHa ...
I would think living in the Tropics the water test would be pretty important to you.

Critically important! Even more than a threat from rain, if a bin is not perfectly waterproof fungus/mould can easily form on lenses or prisms and ruin the instrument. The matter of the scores was shown just as an interesting point - and - not rare in BF - maybe wishful thinking by a brand loyalist! - but the practical implication is that in Leicas that don't have this surprising defect we can expect endurance quality to be really good.

Last edited:
•• Arek is being put through an endurance test here and coming out pretty well, 40+ out of 50, I'd say••

Hahaha! :-O :t:

I'm sure Arek would appreciate your score :king: ...... he's come through the trial by fire pretty well - but have you dunked him in water yet to see if he's leakproof ??!! :eek!: 8-P

Chosun :gh:

Yes, new binoculars would have new seals and such in them but how old were the Leica binoculars that were tested? They came from a Pro Hunting Shop in Poland which is the Leica Dealer in Poland. How long did the dealer have them? Were they sitting on the shelf for a while?

Did Leica ship the new upgraded binoculars to the dealer to deliver to Allbinos or did Leica call the Dealer and tell them to drop off a couple they had in their stock with Allbinos?

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2717670&postcount=21

Seals in binoculars can deteriorate with age. Would they have passed the water test if it had been done first, before the freezing and baking tests? Did the freezing and the baking prior to the water test have any effect on the seals? Would these tests have deleterious effects on older binoculars with older seals than in new binoculars with new seals?

Bob

CJ, well, some have thrown cold water on him, and my score includes coming through that.

Bob, by the timeline given by yourself an Uv. HD has to be ≤ 6 yrs old. Freezing and baking soon after each other with either first will not be something a bin will face. Soon after either, though, I'd expect an even older Leica to survive this water test. But more relevant, and telling, is the last line in the post you quote (by Arek): Cheaper binoculars survived such a treatment without any problems. Then Leica certainly should!

Lyre, count me out!

Don't suppose there'd be any Leica owners here that would be willing to submerge their bins in water for an hour?

No, I won't do that. But neither I'd do that with my Zeiss FL (or my Nikon and Swaro scopes). For all these, I trust in the waterproofness and frequently wash them under the tap, including the occasional complete sumerging, but I won't uncessarly strech it and bath them for an hour. Don't want to bother with sending in for repair and being without my toys for weeks.

No, I won't do that. But neither I'd do that with my Zeiss FL (or my Nikon and Swaro scopes). For all these, I trust in the waterproofness and frequently wash them under the tap, including the occasional complete sumerging, but I won't uncessarly strech it and bath them for an hour. Don't want to bother with sending in for repair and being without my toys for weeks.

Dalat,

Not singling you out but some comments of yours illustrate my earlier point. A rinse under the faucet or even a brief submersion is one thing. Keeping them under water for an hour is another.

Anybody here scuba dive with their binoculars? I don't think the topic has ever come up for discussion.

;)

** cheeky **

Thanks for pointing that out Eitan.
Consider the amount of time they are in my hands or even within a foot of me on any given day. I would probably end up sleeping with some of them but the future Mrs said no toys in bed.
Frank, some of the IS bins may change that! |8.| (o)< 8-P :smoke:
I don't get it.
;-)
Frank - I'm not entirely sure you're the most important one in this equation! 8-P
Just make sure the IS batteries are fully charged ..... :t: . bzzzzzzzzzzzzz ......

This may be of some guidance :king: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZluzt3H6tk
The family that plays together - stays together :cat:
I can just hear it now - "franky ..... when are we going 'birding' again?" ...... 3:)

;-) Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back