• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbirds have fledged! (1 Viewer)

Zulu Merula

Blackbird's Momma!
Hooray! After the second nest failed Soot and Smudge have raised some lovely healthy little fledgies! They came out of the nest this afternoon, I heard it happen because I'd heard them cheeping and I could tell (after having had many blackbirds nests) that they were at that age where they'd be coming out- when they are ready to fledge they stop cheeping and start trilling, that's the best way I can describe it. So, they were trilling and then there were flaps, and then I heard a flap, a little startled cheep and a scratch against the fence, so I knew one had come out. I had to go inside and do some things and when I came back outside I could hear them trilling from various different places. I had a look through the foliage and saw one perching on a branch and then Soot came and fed it some raisins, it was very cute. I'm really pleased there are fledglings again this time! Then I heard a lot more cheeping and the twittering of adult linnets- and a linnet family landed on the roof opposite and I saw, for the first time ever- linnet chicks!! So it was a very good afternoon, hehe.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back