• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camcorders (1 Viewer)

Giddyone

Hiya, can anyone help me ? I'm buying my first ever camcorder and need some advice or recomendations.....
I'm very much starting out on the camcorder front but I know roughly what I'm after and would be grateful for any makes or models which others have tried. I Need a lightweight model as I have muscle wasting on my hands and they are fairly weak. I need a 20 optical zoom, nightshot, steadyshot, easy kind of use,with special priority on the clarity of the pictures. I'll mostly be filming in my garden as I dont get out much now so I really want to get the best shots of my many garden birds as I can. Am prepared to pay up to £400.
Have heard that sony is one of the best makes but there are just so many out there. Kind regards to anyone who can help me.Many thanks. Carol :t:

You can get all sortss now. Sony & Panasonic both run night shot and anti shake technology and I am sure most ther reputable manufacturers do as well. However the technology is rapidly changing and now moving to Hard disk, DVD and also SD card. I'm in the same boat as you and am soon going to change my Panasonic (tape) camcorder with only 15 x optical zoom for one with new technology. Even I need to do more research as I can't find DVD or hard disk cameras with 20+ optical zoom. However I have seen SD card cameras offering 25 x optical zoom but nnt sure how much recording time you get on SD card at toplevel recording and if their expense is worth it.

So, I am still researching

Steve

Giddyone said:
Hiya, can anyone help me ? I'm buying my first ever camcorder and need some advice or recomendations.....
I'm very much starting out on the camcorder front but I know roughly what I'm after and would be grateful for any makes or models which others have tried. I Need a lightweight model as I have muscle wasting on my hands and they are fairly weak. I need a 20 optical zoom, nightshot, steadyshot, easy kind of use,with special priority on the clarity of the pictures. I'll mostly be filming in my garden as I dont get out much now so I really want to get the best shots of my many garden birds as I can. Am prepared to pay up to £400.
Have heard that sony is one of the best makes but there are just so many out there. Kind regards to anyone who can help me.Many thanks. Carol :t:
Hi,
I have severe RSI in both my hands/arms and use a Sony camcorder, the most important feature you will need (like myself) is image stabiliser without this you will have problems with shaky images etc. Most digital zooms are rubbish at long range so go for the highest optical zoom you can afford, also i find using a monopod really helpful.
Hope this has helped
have fun
Brian
Ps try and get one with a viewing screen (mini tv) as this makes following moving birds etc much easier

I have a 1.8 converter that fits onto my Canon 16 x optical giving just under 29 x maginifacation. Difference in image quality with the converter fitted is minimal.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back