• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camcorders for birding (1 Viewer)

dryslwyn

I have always been happy with canon camaras - now I am wanting to buy a digital camcorder for making short videos and for taking stills- to paint and draw from. I would like close up shots. Any advice?

Dryslwyn

dryslwyn said:
The optical zoom on this I think is 10x. Surely I wouldnt be able to get close enough shots - is there something I am missing here ?

If you want longer reach, the only Canon option that would give you high quality (i.e. HD) video at a somewhat reasonable price is the Canon XH A1. This one has a 20x zoom lens that has a 35mm equivalent reach of 560mm, but it is quite expensive.

An alternative option may be to use an S3 IS and a front-mount teleconverter, but I am not sure about the quality you would achieve with such a setup...

Last edited:
Dryslwyn,

As the guys have said, the top end is expensive, you could infact fact buy a good digital camera and lense for same the money, which will give you stills. The cheapest option is to take a sketch book and HB pencil into the field, you'll enjoy that more.

pe'rigin said:
Dryslwyn,

As the guys have said, the top end is expensive, you could infact fact buy a good digital camera and lense for same the money, which will give you stills. The cheapest option is to take a sketch book and HB pencil into the field, you'll enjoy that more.

Point taken. I do both and have a good digital camera. Its my other half who enjoys the making the vidoes. I thought it a good idea to get something that would be useful for us both but it looks like it will have to be the top end of the range or nothing so I guess it will have to go on our wish list. thanks to all for the contributions.

Dryslwyn

dryslwyn said:
Point taken. I do both and have a good digital camera. Its my other half who enjoys the making the vidoes. I thought it a good idea to get something that would be useful for us both but it looks like it will have to be the top end of the range or nothing so I guess it will have to go on our wish list. thanks to all for the contributions.

Dryslwyn
Sony HC45 costs abot £200 and has a 40x optical zoom - equivalent to about 29x on a scope. The image is somewhat rough and ready but perfectly acceptible for video record shots, and at that price you can't complain too much.

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back