• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED82 without stay on cover (1 Viewer)

black lark

is there someone who uses the scope without the stay on cover, i want to use it without the cover, the scope can take this i believe !!!!!!

it's pretty much useless in my opinion.
i have never used one on either my 60mm Fieldscope III ED or my ED82.
it's been subjected to full-on rain no problem.
i find the bits that dangle catch the wind causing vibration anyways.
the scope is pretty much bomb-proof and waterproof up to 5 minutes under water so why worry?

is there someone who uses the scope without the stay on cover, i want to use it without the cover, the scope can take this i believe !!!!!!

I have one this last 5 months, and I don´t have a cover. My instinct is not to get one unless absolutely necessary. I had a cover on my old Swaro 65 and hated it, it simply took all the ergonomic advantages of the Swaro scope and destroyed them. On the Nikon ED82A, I really don´t want to go through that again. I haven´t seen a cover, but can´t imagine how the helical focussing ring would be perfectly accessible under any kind of cover, unless it were (the cover) in two sections. If the scope is bombproof and waterproof, I can´t think why one would need a cover anyway. To transport it, I use a bag. If it pours rain while seawatching, I put the bag over it. Elegant, simple, cheap. BTW, I have the ED50 too, and didn´t get a cover for that (although I was tempted after Penny Clarke´s recommendation of same). The only thing about the ED´s that I find a (very mild) concern is losing the lens covers at both ends, they´re very loose. So I´m currently experimenting with old coffee jar lids and the like to come up with replacements. Best of luck, if you do get a cover that you really like, please post us! (Hey, isn´t the ED82 a brilliant scope, or what???)

I have one this last 5 months, and I don´t have a cover. My instinct is not to get one unless absolutely necessary. I had a cover on my old Swaro 65 and hated it, it simply took all the ergonomic advantages of the Swaro scope and destroyed them. On the Nikon ED82A, I really don´t want to go through that again. I haven´t seen a cover, but can´t imagine how the helical focussing ring would be perfectly accessible under any kind of cover, unless it were (the cover) in two sections. If the scope is bombproof and waterproof, I can´t think why one would need a cover anyway. To transport it, I use a bag. If it pours rain while seawatching, I put the bag over it. Elegant, simple, cheap. BTW, I have the ED50 too, and didn´t get a cover for that (although I was tempted after Penny Clarke´s recommendation of same). The only thing about the ED´s that I find a (very mild) concern is losing the lens covers at both ends, they´re very loose. So I´m currently experimenting with old coffee jar lids and the like to come up with replacements. Best of luck, if you do get a cover that you really like, please post us! (Hey, isn´t the ED82 a brilliant scope, or what???)

didn't your ED come with the stay-on velcro cover?
i thought it was standard issue.

didn't your ED come with the stay-on velcro cover?
i thought it was standard issue.
Funnily enough, no, it didn´t. I had no idea it was being marketed elsewhere with a cover. I didn´t buy it in Ireland (never buy optics in Ireland, the prices are silly), I got it from an online operation in England called Warehouse Express. Maybe sometimes it´s bundled with a cover and eyepiece, but I bought mine body only, as I´d already gotten the eyepieces with the ED50. (Which also came without a cover, in my case).

I've got an soc for my ED82 and I reckon it's very good as these go. The focus ring is easily accessible and the lens covers can be stuck onto velcro after they've been removed, so they don't shake around too much. I bird a lot along the coast where there's lots of sand and sea spray in the air, so I think it's a good policy to use an soc to protect the lenses.

The benefits of a soc have always eluded me. I transport my scope in a padded bag, but I don't want additional weight when I carry it around. Nor do I like things flapping in the wind when using it. I do use lens caps, though, to protect the lenses against rain etc when necessary. My scopes get a few more scratches but I do not keep them fine for resale, I keep them for use by myself.

But the issue of loose or ill-fitting lens caps is a serious one for Nikon!

Last edited:
I have never used the cover. It disables the rotational feature and sighting grooves which are so important to me- I will often rotate the tube to use the sighting grooves, then rotate back to view or photograph.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back