• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The perfect trip report (1 Viewer)

Maffong

I am currently writing a trip report for a trip to Peru back in August. My intentions are to make it as good as possible and I've included lots of info, hyperlinks and pictures, however I'd like to know from other people what they consider essential in a trip report and what it needs, so they give a five-star rating on Cloudbirders ;)

Cheers Maffong

Everyone his own style, but I would check the ones already on Cloudbirders and try to separate factual info from daily log. GPS, phone numbers, stake-outs, travel info, hotels,... all help, as much as an annotated trip list, costs, your intentions of birding, travel times etcetera etcetera ;-)

And if you use a guide, recommend him if (S)he's good but don't be afraid to tell people if (S)he isn't, there are a lot of very mediocre guides out there and people are grateful to be warned.

Andy

As Andy said, bad experiences, or no experience (e.g. something didn't work out, or some birds were missed due to the adverse weather) are interesting as well. Sometimes it is as important to know what you haven't seen and haven't done, and why ;-)

Tour group reports are very bad at this: they all had walk-away views and everything was running smoothly. Some tours are like that, but a lot of times the reality (lousy far-away views after hours of searching in the rain) are not mentioned or paraphrased as: "excitement all along because everybody was on the bird and saw it well"

I didn't implement all the stuff that was suggested, but nevertheless I'm a little proud of my new tripreport.
It has an illustrated species list, with a picture of every single bird species we managed to get a picture (515/707 species) from, so it's fairly large (45MB). I hope you enjoy it.
Please inform me if you find a mistake

Cheers Maffong

Last edited:
Wow! That's some report! Excellent. It's a part of the world we're interested in visiting and this is going to come in handy. Not read all 405 pages yet, but will keep this close to hand. Thanks

Thank you. I've also uploaded it to Cloudbirders, with an additional smaller version (no pictures for the species, I thought this might come handy in a few situations). However they changed the order of the links and now the smaller (and I think less interesting) version comes first. I already wrote them an email, I hope they change it soon, because I couldn't find a way to do so myself... :/

Cheers Maffong

I read it yesterday and really enjoyed reading!
That trip list with pictures included for every other bird is impressive!).

Regarding links on cloudbirders: one of two web masters is currently traveling, so this could take some time.

Some thoughts / comments:

question: could your driver have been Raul Zapata Revoredo? He is on FB.
thought: We didn't find the road to Bosque Unchog bumpy at all...?
Mammal ID: brown titi should be Coppery Titi, at least that is what I was told by some mammal experts.

Hey Temmie,
thanks for your input. The cloudbirders problem was quickly fixed. I've already gotten another 2 new pictures for the species list: Cuvier's Toucan and Orange-bellied Euphonia. I also now there's Capped Conebill, Plain-brown Woodcreeper and probably both Trainbearers out there.

Answer 1: No it was a different driver. I'll ask Alejandro about his name soon. In a few month I'll upload an updated version.
Answer 2: That might have been, 'cause you used a 4x4 jeep and we had a big ass bus :D
Answer 3: I used the HMW taxonomy, where I had access to it. There they call it Brown Titi. Apparently they have been split, but only few ressources tell about it

Thank you so far, for all the kind reviews.

Maffong

Excellent report

Can only admire the amount of time and effort to put this together.
Really takes us back to some of these places.

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back