• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trading ''Two wheels for Four'' Fuerteventura, Dec.26th-Jan.2nd. Part Three (1 Viewer)

KenM

My normal mode of birding is to FYO...ie not to frequent known sites, unless ''absolutely having to'', in order to connect. The previous day's excursion was a good example, North African Blue Tit being extremely local, I believe Betancuria and Pajara being the two main sites for this species...hence the ''four wheels''.

Wednesday morning I set off by myself and drove NNE some 20 minutes until I found an area that looked as though It could hold Houbara. Two hours later after walking some 1.5km, I'd drawn another blank...Berthelot's Pipit, Lesser Short-Toed Lark, Barbary Partridge, Southern Grey Shrike, Hoopoe and Raven being the sites total.

I then drove off further West, before locating another ''suitable'' looking area, parked the car, then moved off into an adjoining stoney desert area, with a modicum of cover. I'd walked some 1.5 miles into the interior, couldn't see the car, and it was mid-day plus (quite hot!).

The going was a little uncomfortable, if the rocks didn't turn your ankles the thorny scrub would ''get stuck in'', whereupon I found a farm track which I followed being easier underfoot. First birds of note that I encountered was a distant Egyptian Vulture, then two Common Buzzards (other than what I'd seen before at the previous stop) plus a ''heard only'' and alien to my ears, until the liquid bubbling notes morphed into two Black-Bellied Sandgrouse exploding from the ground into the air.

Camera at the ready I got off a couple of shots, this was indeed a tremendous reward for the effort employed, just a few moments later I saw the heads of an unspecified number of Cream-colored Coursers running through the cover, then taking off into the ''blue'', once again taking a film clip and some shots...what superb birds they are, in flight the mixed party of adults (showing an orange under-tail with contrasting black bars...I didn't know that!) with the more conservatively clad immatures...10 birds in total!

I felt that I needed to lie down such was the excitement, however time and Houbara (please), wait for no one. The next hour or so was spent scanning but to no avail, thus I decided to take a break and head back to (and relocate) the car. Still stopping and scanning as I walked back, when another two BBSandgrouse broke cover, with a few more resulting shots taken. I then scanned again, when I saw some 200m+distant what looked like a ''periscope'', slowly pushing up through the scrub, surely an illusion..the ''would be neck'' looking too slender? It then turned sideways..and I very calmly deduced Houbara!!!

What took place next...is still baffling! Camera at hand, I proceeded to film the bird over said distance....now you see it!...now you don't! I took care to stay on the farm track procuring relatively small images, but good enough to see what it was. I then decided that there was too much heat haze, thus I headed back to the car for some refreshment, thinking If I wait for an hour the light might improve, and perhaps If I can reconnect, better images might ensue.

Circa 3pm, I left the car and headed back along the farm track knowing that the odds were against me relocating the Houbara. Some time had elapsed before I heard the bubbling of more BBSandgrouse, and the dry ''Cher-Cher'' calls of Barbary Partridge. Intermixed occasionally with these calls was a single note call that I ''knew not what'' coming from behind. It was then that I picked up the ''periscope'' head of Houbara, again circa 200m away, and it appeared to ''head raise'' then run toward in a crouched manner, and it seemed to be activated, every time the call was made, to the point of closing down from c200-150mm!!

The next few minutes were ''unbelievable''...being a competent mimic on occasion, I thought I'd give it a go! I elicited the ''single note'' contact call (a touch louder) the bird responded immediately, running toward (head erect) after the call was made then crouching and stopping, until I called again. This was repeated about six times until the bird was c15-20 metres away!!! At this point I called once more and it altered course away to my right, showing what I can only describe as ''threat display'' fanning tail and opening wings...I'm still head-scratching on this, as the call does not appear to be mentioned in literature!

For obvious reasons I'm not going to describe the call or give a location! Needless to say I took some shots and film clips, If I'm able to make a copy then erase the sound I will YouTube it for general consumption.

I enjoyed an extra glass that evening, FWIW If that was bizarre, then my next encounter was equally so, and that's a film clip that I can share :eek!:

Attachments

• P1200231.jpeg BBS.3..jpg
    P1200231.jpeg BBS.3..jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 87
  • P1200344.jpeg  CCC.3..jpg
    P1200344.jpeg CCC.3..jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 98
  • P1200377.jpeg  Houbara 1..jpg
    P1200377.jpeg Houbara 1..jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 106
  • P1200386.jpeg Houbara 4..jpg
    P1200386.jpeg Houbara 4..jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 100
  • P1200744.jpeg Houbara 8..jpg
    P1200744.jpeg Houbara 8..jpg
    384 KB · Views: 93
Thanks Guys, much appreciated.....:t:....and yes Nick the wine was superb!...even though it was not exactly vintage. ;)

Not too shabby at all! that Houbara interaction really sounds like something special - great stuff!

Cheers
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back