• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (4 Viewers)

A mostly sunny morning though a few sowers towards lunchtime. My first proper visit since returning home from a holiday in Scotland though I've called in a couple of times during the week for a quick look around.

Swallows and Swifts over the car park on arriving plus a pair of Shelduck and a Grey Heron. Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Reed Bunting and Blackcap all heard from the car park. Following the hedge by the Activity Centre I added a singing Garden Warbler though no views and Yellowhammer. Several Willow Warbler, Whitethroat and Blackcap also singing there.

The pond itself was pretty quiet. Even quieter since the Swans have chased away the Canada Geese. They were still present mid-week sitting on the nest but no sign today. On the water were Tufted Duck c.7, Mallard c.12, Mute Swan x2, Little Grebe x2 pair, Gadwall pair, Pochard x2, Shelduck c2, Coot, Moorhen, LBB Gull pair and a few BH Gull. A Cormorant took off from the pond as I arrived and circled a couple of times before leaving. Swallow, Swift and Sand Martin were feeding over the water.

I stayed around the pond for about an hour hoping to see a Kingfisher which are believed to be nesting in the park but no sign. On the hill by the railway were three singing Whitethroat all very close together often in flight displaying.

At least three Blackcap in the bushes by the scrapes plus Whitethroat and Wren. Loads of tadpole in the pools.

Looks like the Sparrowhawks are nesting again though in a different location. The female was sat on the nest and the male was seen carrying in some sort of prey to her.

A Kestrel was hunting by the pylons and a Little Owl was sat in a beck side tree. Only three Yellowhammer seen.

No Grasshopper Warbler around today.

Butterflies - Wall, Large White, Speckled Wood, Orange Tip, Small Copper, Peacock.

Attachments

• IMG_3577ao.JPG
    IMG_3577ao.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3724ao.JPG
    IMG_3724ao.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3758ao.JPG
    IMG_3758ao.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3856ao.JPG
    IMG_3856ao.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3906ao.JPG
    IMG_3906ao.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 47
A revisit this morning. Pretty much the same seen again though a lot sunnier.

Additions were Kingfisher along Claxton Beck and Lesser Whitethroat x3 along the sewage works fence. Two were fiercely defending territory against any other bird coming too close. Two Herons on the main pond.

Lots of rabbits and butterflies around - Speckled Wood, Orange Tip, Peacock, Wall, Small Copper, Large White.

Attachments

• IMG_4209ao.JPG
    IMG_4209ao.JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4166bo.JPG
    IMG_4166bo.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4161ao.JPG
    IMG_4161ao.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4153ao.JPG
    IMG_4153ao.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4105ao.JPG
    IMG_4105ao.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 45
Not too bad a morning. Fine and mostly bright with light winds and pretty mild.

A little quieter than my last couple of visits as regards birds singing but still quite a few singing and displaying including Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Reed Bunting, Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Robin and Dunnock. LTT flock c.30+ moving through bushes on the west side of the hill.

Lesser Whitethroat were by the sewage works fence though difficult to view having probably settled down to nest now. Blackcap, Whitethroat, Bullfinch and Willow Warbler also along the fence bushes.

Grey Wagtail were on the lower half of Cow Bridge Beck gathering food as far down as Claxton Beck. The first I've seen them in several visits.

Several House Martin, Swallow and Swift feeding over the whole of the park area.

Best find of the day was one of the Kingfishers sat perched at various places around the main pond. It seemed to be checking out perches and sunning itself rather than feeding.

Butterflies: Green-veined White, Orange Tip, Wall, Speckled Wood, Small White.

Insects: Large Red Damselfly, Azure Damselfly, Blue-tailed Damselfly.

Attachments

• IMG_7158bo.JPG
    IMG_7158bo.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_7165ao.JPG
    IMG_7165ao.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7198ao.JPG
    IMG_7198ao.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7413ao.JPG
    IMG_7413ao.JPG
    179.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_7436ao.JPG
    IMG_7436ao.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 38
Another lovely sunny morning for a wander around.

Starting off I headed along the cycleway to go check out the Little Owls as I hadn't bene that way for a while. At Cloff Bridge I met another birder who'd just been for a look but hadn't seen any. I figured I might as well still wander along if nothing else to check on the Tree Sparrows. I fell lucky as a Little Owl flew down the cyeleway towards me and in to the tree by the gate. It then played 'hide and seek' with me ducking behind branches as soon as I got it in view. After taking a few photos I left it in peace and checked out the other trees.

Great Tit and Tree Sparrow are nseting in the same tree with Yellowhammer and Whitethroat in the hedges below. A pair of Leeser Whitethroat appeared as well giving thier scolding call but didn't reappear.

Several Whitethroat, Yellowhammer, Willow Warbler and Blackcap heard as I headed down Claxton Beck towards the main pond.

A pair of Mute Swan and a Grey Wagtail were back by the junction with Cow Bridge Beck with Sedge Warbler and Whitethroat flitting about.

Two Kingfisher were on main pond in the corner of nature reserve with a female Sparrowhawk sat in dead tree above them! Pretty quiet otherwise with just a few Tufted Duck and Mallard about and the usual Pochard, Gadwall pair, Little Grebe, Moorhen and Cormorant.

A niec find was a Cuckoo calling as it flew along the side of the railway before heading over towards the tip accompanied by a Meadow Pipit.

Grey Partridge and Pheasant in the same field.

A single Reed Warbler and a single Sedge Warbler on the main pond.

Another Lesser Whitethroat along the sewage works fence.

Lots of Crested Newts in the ponds by the hide and still lots of tadpoles about.

Butterflies: Orange Tip, Wall, Small White, Painted Lady, Small Copper, Speckled Wood.

Damselflies: Azure, Blue-tailed, Large Red, Common Blue.

Attachments

• IMG_8169ao.JPG
    IMG_8169ao.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8200ao.JPG
    IMG_8200ao.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8264ao.JPG
    IMG_8264ao.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8315ao.JPG
    IMG_8315ao.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8369ao.JPG
    IMG_8369ao.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 40
A few more photos from today.

Attachments

• IMG_8704ao.JPG
    IMG_8704ao.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8599ao.JPG
    IMG_8599ao.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_8745ao.JPG
    IMG_8745ao.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8472ao.JPG
    IMG_8472ao.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8544ao.JPG
    IMG_8544ao.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 33
A quick look in this evening. Cuckoo calling by the gas compound on the south side of the A1185.

Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler and Blackcap calling and Common Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler still in display flight. Kingfishers seen taking food to the nest hole which hopefully means the eggs have hatched. First seen in display on 30th April with male presenting food to female. Male Sparrowhawk seen taking food to the female still incubating.

A revisit early afternoon. Bright and sunny and very warm with it!

Reed Bunting, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat and Blackcap all heard singing from the car park.

Today I just headed over to the main pond and back. Birds about were much the same as the last couple of visits. No Sparrowhawks seen today but the Kingfishers were seen three times on the pond.

Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, several Linnet, Wren, Song Thrush and Sedge Warbler were by the bench on the north side of the pond. Little Grebe were in front of the bench plus a pair of Shelduck.

Highlight of today were the dragonflies with 3-4 Four-spot Chaser between the hide and the hill along the path.

Even better were the first Broad-bodied Chaser of the year in the scrapes by the hide with at least two males and two females which were ovipositing.

Two Yellowhammer were calling in the bushes by the railway and a distant Cuckoo was calling.

Attachments

• IMG_0458ao.JPG
    IMG_0458ao.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0497ao.JPG
    IMG_0497ao.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0556ao.JPG
    IMG_0556ao.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0651ao.JPG
    IMG_0651ao.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0702ao.JPG
    IMG_0702ao.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 32
Bright and sunny on todays visit late morning though with a cold light wind from the east as well. I think the bright sunshine or perhaps the wind kept the birds down as there wasn't that much to see, just the usual Whitethroat, Yellowhammer and Linnet on the way over to the pond.

Just the odd Swallow and Swift over the water plus the usual Woodpigeon, Magpie, LBB Gull pair and BH Gull. Shelduck are a regular sight the last few visits.

Very few ducks in evidence either but five minutes after sitting down a Kingfsher flew by. Over the next 40 minutes it was in view several times before heading off over the side of the hill.

Insects seen included Orange Tip, Speckled Wood, Peacock, Greeen-veined White, Small Copper, Small Heath and Common Blue butterflies. Several damselfies around the scrapes and at least two Four-spot Chaser. No Broad-bodied today.

Attachments

• IMG_1012ao.JPG
    IMG_1012ao.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1149ao.JPG
    IMG_1149ao.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1151ao.JPG
    IMG_1151ao.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1172co.JPG
    IMG_1172co.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1596co.jpg
    IMG_1596co.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 38
Pretty murky this morning starting off with some light rain but by 10:00am the sun was poking through the cloud cover and it remained brightish until around lunchtime. It was good to meet up with BF member Jaff and his mam who were visiting with relatives over this side of the country. We had a wander around the park seeing what we could find.

As per the last few visits most of the birds have stopped singing and there was nothing like as many around as a couple of weeks ago.

By the car park Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat and Reed Bunting are still calling. A Dunnock family with young were in the trees over the beck by the filter bed entrance. A male Sparrowhawk flew over the car park as I arrived heading west into the trees.

Lots of rabbits running around behind the pond on the path by the railway line with the odd Yellowhammer, Linnet, Whitethroat and a pair of Bullfinch in the bushes plus the ever present Magpie which now have young.

Prior to Jaff's arrival I spent about an hour by the pond. Several fly-overs by the Kingfishers. A few more Tufted Duck present than usual with Mallard and a couple of Pochard. A Cormorant was spending it's time drying out on the stone island in between fishing. Little Grebe pair with chick in the NE corner and another pair on the west side of the pond. One caught what looked to be a young pike.

Once Jaff arrived we had a wander around the Park. Just as we met a flock of Canada Goose x8 flew low over heading west. The Kingfishers were still on the pond but giving only distant views. The odd Swallow, House MArtin and Swift passed over. We saw very little else as we headed up to the cycleway where at least a Little Owl was on show giving tantalising glimpses in the trees by the beck as the wind blew the branches around. Linnet, Whitethroat and a pair of Yellowhammer were in the hedges.

After that we just made our way back towards the car park where we parted company. The visit was well timed as 20 minutes later the rain returned!

As I was chatting with some friends whilst awaiting my lift a Kingfisher flew along the ponds by the car park and over the A1185 heading south. First time I've seen that happen.

Now dragonflies seen today and for butterflies only one Painted Lady, one fresh looking Speckled Wood, one Large Skipper and one Small Copper seen.

Attachments

• IMG_3902ao.JPG
    IMG_3902ao.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3929ao.JPG
    IMG_3929ao.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3983ao.JPG
    IMG_3983ao.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3988co.JPG
    IMG_3988co.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3993ao.JPG
    IMG_3993ao.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 26
Several short visits the last few days. Bright and sunny this afternoon.

It's been pretty quiet bird wise. The Kingfishers are still taking food to the nest - five visits in ten minutes this afternoon! A Shelduck was on the main pond sat on the stone island. A few Swift, Swallow and House Martin over the pond plus Kestrel and Sparrowhawk pair. Two Oystercatcher flew over heading east towards Greatham Creek.

Whitethroat, Yellowhammer, Sedge Warbler and Blackcap singing in the pond side bushes.

Best find of the day was a Hobby flying in from the east over the railway lines and along the north edge of the pond to the hide where it turned north alongside the hill before circling back west towards the pylons where it was lost from view.

Two Four-spot Chaser were in the scrapes and a few damselflies. A toad crossing the grassy path.

Attachments

• IMG_6247ao.JPG
    IMG_6247ao.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6260boo.JPG
    IMG_6260boo.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6316ao.JPG
    IMG_6316ao.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_4073ao.JPG
    IMG_4073ao.JPG
    181.9 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4078ao.JPG
    IMG_4078ao.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 35
Just stumbled across this thread. I dearly wish my local patch was as half as good as this.

There is a Little Owl (possibly a pair) on the Grand Western Canal in Devon and the two of us (I only know of one other 'regular') think this is 'brilliant' to use a youthful term! I sat under a scrim net for an hour and half yesterday trying to photograph it, no luck!

I have seen one young Yellowhammer only ever and put a lot of footwork in hoping to bump into another!

Coots as in your delightful flight shot are a worrying cause for concern enough for us to keep tabs on their numbers.

Last year we prayed a Little Grebe in March would stay to breed.

Shelducks, forget it, too inland. I still dream of a cosmicmindflyover though.

Kingfishers, yes we get loads of them and are the envy of Devon (so I like to delude myself) but never a chance of even a 'scene inclusive' flight shot like your's!

I could go on...

All I am doing is demonstrating the wonderful vagaries of patch watching. Other patch riches make us appreciate our own riches (whatever they are) and dream of what we COULD see. The maxim of "If they can see so and so then so can we!" is inspiring enough and it pays us to look much higher than our own patches!

Keep it up. :clap:

Last edited:
Hi Andrew.Ian spends just about every day at iether here which is his local patch or various other local areas and gets some wonderful shots for his patience and troubles.What a lot of non local people dont know is that this area is a huge industrial area but is also a very important area for bird and wildlife,and we have just had the opening of RSPB Salthome which when established is also going to be a magnet for birders.

Graham

Saturday Morning

Bright and warm, a nice change!

Walking from the car park to the railway line showed Reed Warbler(1), Willow Warbler(5), Whitethroat(1), Chaffinch(2), Goldfinch(4), Wren(1), Yellowhammer(1). A cacophony of other sound but rarely seen.

The small pond (weed covered one) on the way up to the visitor centre had plenty of blue damsels, and a pair of 4 spot chasers mating and ovipositing.

The main lake had the kingfisher in and out of the nest several times in the 30 minutes or so we were there.

The scrapes had dozens of mating pair blue damsels, and 10 or more 4 spot chasers, still a fair number of tadpoles but not as many as a few weeks ago, banded snail everywhere, and an insect I have no idea about (posted)

Good to see Ian again and hope you managed to find the terrapin

Attachments

• IMG_2090.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2107.jpg
    IMG_2107.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2131.jpg
    IMG_2131.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2144.jpg
    IMG_2144.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2149.jpg
    IMG_2149.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 32
Saturday Morning

Bright and warm, a nice change!

Walking from the car park to the railway line showed Reed Warbler(1), Willow Warbler(5), Whitethroat(1), Chaffinch(2), Goldfinch(4), Wren(1), Yellowhammer(1). A cacophony of other sound but rarely seen.

The small pond (weed covered one) on the way up to the visitor centre had plenty of blue damsels, and a pair of 4 spot chasers mating and ovipositing.

The main lake had the kingfisher in and out of the nest several times in the 30 minutes or so we were there.

The scrapes had dozens of mating pair blue damsels, and 10 or more 4 spot chasers, still a fair number of tadpoles but not as many as a few weeks ago, banded snail everywhere, and an insect I have no idea about (posted)

Good to see Ian again and hope you managed to find the terrapin

Hi Ray,

Yep! Saw the terrapin - thanks for that. It was busy feeding popping it's head up in between the weed every now and again. It's quite a large size! At least a dozen Four-spot Chaser over that pond and lots of damselflies as well. Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat, Dunnock, Blackcap and Reed Bunting all heard singing frm there as well. Coot and Moorhen were in the reeds.

As you say a lot more birds singing today. The sun seems to bring out the best of them.

In addition to your sightings the Little Owl was sat in it's usual tree and the Hobby was around at 9.00am heading north along Claxton Beck by the hill. Whilst waiting to see if it came back I sat a while. Three Reed Warbler singing/fighting over territory where the becks meet and two Sedge Warbler collecting grubs for nestlings plus Wren. Mallard family with eight chicks Moorhen and Whitethroat in the same small area. Lots of blue and red damselflies around plus a few Four-spot Chaser and the odd Painted Lady, Speckled Wood, Small Heath and Common Blue butterflies. Two Crows were harassing a Kestrel where it's nesting in the pylon.

Several toads well spread around as well.

A lovely sunny day to be over there :t:

Attachments

• IMG_6331ao.JPG
    IMG_6331ao.JPG
    193.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6360ao.JPG
    IMG_6360ao.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6381ao.JPG
    IMG_6381ao.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6532ao.JPG
    IMG_6532ao.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6599ao.JPG
    IMG_6599ao.JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 28
Hi Ian how far along the cycleway is the tree with the little owls in.

Graham

They're about 1/4 mile north of Cloff Bridge which is just under a mile north from the car park. At present they're mostly in the beck side trees which is what this one is flying into.

A revisit this morning bright and early - 7.30am!

Lots of birds singing singing again. Ray's terrapin was sat out in the weeded pond again. I've informed the wardens so it should be removed shortly - if they can catch it. Apparently they've had them before and caught them for relocation.

Little Owl in the beckside trees again. Yellowhammer, Whitethroat, Wren, Reed Bunting in the hedges along the cycleway.

Claxton Beck/Cow Bridge Beck - Reed warebler x3 again plus two Sedge Warbler collecting food. Redshank flew up the beck towards me but turned back again. Two Oystercatcher overhead. Wren, Whitethroat and Bullfinch pair in bushes alongside where I was sat.

Lots of draonflies around the scrapes again. Around adozen Four-spot Chaser, several blue damselflies and Large Red Damselflies.

Kingfishers still active taking food to nest.

Main pond itself pretty quiet. A brief view of a male Sparrowhawk passing over and several Swift, Swallow and House Martin.

Attachments

• IMG_6742aoo.JPG
    IMG_6742aoo.JPG
    195.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_6853ao.JPG
    IMG_6853ao.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6710ao.JPG
    IMG_6710ao.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_6697ao.JPG
    IMG_6697ao.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6671ao.JPG
    IMG_6671ao.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 42
An overcast but fairly bright morning and quite mild.

On arriving in the car park a Common Tern flew over heading west - first I've seen here this year, though another two were on the lake when I got there.

A leg-ringed Sedge Warbler was feeding two fledglings in the reeds by the car park with Whitethroat, Reed Bunting and a juvie Great Tit close by. Moorhen and Coot with chicks on the ponds and the terrapin half sub-merged.

Following the hedge to the railway the usual singing Willow Warbler, Whitethroat and Blackcap. In addition a Yellowhammer was by the railway.

A male Sparrowhawk was sat in the dead tree on the west side and the Common Tern were on the rubble island. Two Shelduck and a Cormorant were present along with the usual ducks. Two Kingfishers still making food runs.

Whilst sat by the hide a flock of 30 Canada Goose flew over heading west but nothing else remarkable seen.

Heading along Claxton Beck towards the cycleway a Wren was sat in a willow tree in the open for a change! Two Mistle Thrush flew across the path in front of me followed by another three - presumably a family group. They landed in a tree by the sewage works.

Several Linnet, Yellowhammer, Whitethroat and Blackcap were in the hedges as I made my way back towards the car park. Some giving very close views.

Back at the car park A flock of Long-tailed Tit x7 moved through the bushes feeding.

Insects seen incuded Four-spot Chaser c.12, Speckled Wood, Painted Lady, Small Heath and Common Blue butterflies.

Attachments

• IMG_8133ao.JPG
    IMG_8133ao.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8220ao.JPG
    IMG_8220ao.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8318ao.JPG
    IMG_8318ao.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8400ao.JPG
    IMG_8400ao.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8483ao.JPG
    IMG_8483ao.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 34
Hi Ian

Called in at Cowpen Bewley as our last stop of a good day's birding on Saturday that took in the Leas, Blackhall Rocks, Crimdon Dene, Saltholme and Seals Sands. It's a few months since we last visited the feeding station and I must admit we were shocked to see how overgrown and neglected it appeared to be with the paths to the feeding station disappearing into the undergrowth and the the grasses and vegetation almost up to the height of the feeders, none of which had any food on them. This was at about 4pm on the Saturday afternoon. Needless to say there was no activity at the feeding station and we wondered what the reason for this sad state of affairs was. Not being from this area we didn't know who was responsible for maintaining the feeding station but it seemed a real shame that it was in such a neglected state.

- slightly off topic - but Saltholme's facilities are coming on a treat and the birder's breakfast can't be beaten for value - so long as you don't care too much about the carbs!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back