• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moorland Flocks (1 Viewer)

halftwo

Wird Batcher
The sleeping form of the winter moor lies recumbent, shoulders and hips heaped above her waist, deep creases dark as the shadows caress.

Above a fleet sun slips from sliding clouds and breaks to blind. Heather, brown and brittle, and frosted bracken cloak the hills. Only Red Grouse skim the contours - running from fire - the smoke in four ribbons above the burn.

Below in greener fields beginning to grow beyond the snowdrop crowded verges, flocks rove. Fieldfares and Starlings strut and hop, then jump for the sky in a crowd. Hundreds of birds spiral as a Crow-harrassed Buzzard tilts towards the wood.

The wind, channelled up a steep valley whistles through the beeches as a Great-spotted Woodpecker climbs.

Further on and a flock of Lapwings and Curlews, recently returned, probe soft earth. But on flatter fields the flocks are huge: seven hundred Golden Plovers, some coming into summer colour, and Lapwings on short turf where moles try to turn the earth inside out - scores of crumbly heaps of soil pushed towards the Spring-promising sun. Beyond hundreds of Starlings pick at the same field and beyond again Black-headed Gulls move on as the plough approaches.

Suddenly the waders lift and flash in the sun: the plovers' wings sharp and fast - glinting knives, the Lapwings on wide wings - black and white. They all settle quickly after the false alarm as a Kestrel wobbles on a wire above them.

Last edited:
Great to see you back H2.. I presume you enjoyed your trip to hot climes!

I see your Lapwings have returned to the hills now... ours are still on the lower ground yet.

Yes, Ecuador was excellent, thanks Delia.

Today, in the village I was very pleased to see Dipper, Grey Wagtail and a pair of Mandarin Ducks !

Thanks for this H2, I can almost feel that Yorkshire air in my lungs when I read your compositions, how does that Sinatra song go.......... 'It's oh so nice to go travelling, but it's oh so nice - to come home' :t:

So pleased to have another wonderful piece of writing to enjoy, h2. You weave magical descriptions with such ease.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back