• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A short bird trip to the local shops (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
A short bird trip around the corner to the local doctor, and the shops

I was amazed how one Gull (Black Headed Gull) chased after one Starling for 5 mins or more, and still did not catch it in mid-air - the Gull must be very hungry to do this deed. o:D

A large group of Long Tail Tits in the doctors car park moving about in a very small tree - not deterred by people or cars.

A great mini viewing of birds which made my day, and put a smile on my face :gh:

Love to see a Waxwing when they arrive! :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
I once got some very strange looks at a bus stop outside our local hospital thanks to a flock of Long-tailed Tits. I was busy watching them when a concerned elderly gentleman asked me if I was feeling OK. I suspect that the juxtaposition of the hospital and the sight of me apparently staring blankly upwards may have suggested that I was a mental patient in need of help! ;)

Nice... one both.

Not a trip to the shops, but I'd gone out with a friend on Christmas day and parked up under a tree for a cup of coffee. It was a nice day, so I opened the sun roof. A few minutes later a flock of long-tails came foraging in the tree.

Magic!

Nice... one both.

Not a trip to the shops, but I'd gone out with a friend on Christmas day and parked up under a tree for a cup of coffee. It was a nice day, so I opened the sun roof. A few minutes later a flock of long-tails came foraging in the tree.

Magic!

Lovely sighting Delia to view birds from your car...and with a cup of coffee. :t:

I love the way you can hear Long Tail Tits communicating to one another while they follow one another about the tree branches.

They have a distinctive 3 tone call I can hear very easily - 3 quick calls in one succession - so it is a giveaway it is them o:D

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
LTT always brighten the darkest days, could watch them for hrs and when you look at there breeding behavior, its very family orientated, other birds will help raise another birds young and being a nest recorder for the BTO, the nest amazes me. Over 2000 feathers line the nest, which is made of moss and spiders webs, beautiful family of birds. However most of the feathers comes from dead birds, BoP kills, ext.

Damian

LTT always brighten the darkest days, could watch them for hrs and when you look at there breeding behavior, its very family orientated, other birds will help raise another birds young and being a nest recorder for the BTO, the nest amazes me. Over 2000 feathers line the nest, which is made of moss and spiders webs, beautiful family of birds. However most of the feathers comes from dead birds, BoP kills, ext.

Damian

Thank you for your information Damian. Each time I see a pile of feathers on the ground, I think of Sparrowhawks (mainly), and feathers for other birds nests. Just part of the big picture of life. o:)

That is the good thing about adding containers of nest material in your garden as it helps birds on their way.

Regards
Kathy
x

Things have been all over the place since Xmas time due to my medical issues between visiting docters surgeries, and hospitals

The birds I have least expected are the ones which end up 'calling' in the car park area of the place I am visiting

Having listened to Long Tail Tits at the local Medical Centre car park (got to go at 1.45pm to get my bloods tested today) has been a pleasure to listen to as they always seen to be there in that patch.

Bedford hospital has a 'Goldcrest' which calls from a evergreen tree next to the main entrance. A nice little tune that makes me smile every time i visit (except on a rainy day LOL). :gh:

Even the birds do not like the rain. o:D

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Yes I love watching long tailed tits has they roam a long in their feeding partys, they will normally start nest Building this month and they are masters at nest building If their was a masters guild for birds in nest Building It Would have to be the long tailed tit that took first prize, I have often listened and waited to hear their calls as They Appear from the distance following the hedgerow their building In and if you keep your distance they will
Happily carry on building as long as you don,t spook them I would just like to add to boro birders notes on nest Materials that they also add lichen to the outside of the nest which really gives it a beautiful finish, my grandad Use to tell me when he was a lad (born 1890) that he gave a nick name to their nest and called them pudding Bags obviously something he had seen similar in the kitchen then.

Yes I love watching long tailed tits has they roam a long in their feeding partys, they will normally start nest Building this month and they are masters at nest building If their was a masters guild for birds in nest Building It Would have to be the long tailed tit that took first prize, I have often listened and waited to hear their calls as They Appear from the distance following the hedgerow their building In and if you keep your distance they will
Happily carry on building as long as you don,t spook them I would just like to add to boro birders notes on nest Materials that they also add lichen to the outside of the nest which really gives it a beautiful finish, my grandad Use to tell me when he was a lad (born 1890) that he gave a nick name to their nest and called them pudding Bags obviously something he had seen similar in the kitchen then.

Hi CT

Like yourself, I love LTT's, and their antics. Their nests seen to be very well hidden. They also tend to be unphased by a humans presence by all account - it is bonus for taking good photographs :t:

It is great to have so many memories of them mentioned by your grandad. My mum influenced my love of birds, and it a family thing here too. :gh:

The one memory of LTT's that stands out to me was while I was living in Brechan Scotland.
This particuar day, it was blowing a hooley and the snow was deep.
In our front garden we had a bird feeder or two, and the LTT's were attracted to the food. At least 10 LTT's sat huddled together in a straight line on a branch above the feeder.
I wish I got a photo, as it was so endearing to see that image of them cuddling to keeping warm. So cute!!

They are the sweetest little 'powder Puffs' as my own little nickname for them. o:D

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back