• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tri-coloured blackbird? Banff, Alberta, June (1 Viewer)

alanc

Just an earthbound misfit
England
Took this shot of a black bird at Vermillion Lakes, Banff last June.
It looks very much like a tri-coloured blackbird as illustrated in my Smithsonian guide. However, according to that same guide, they dont occur in that region. Could it be a juvenile red-winged or have the tricoloured moved further north? help appreciated

Attachments

• b-w bl bird. 13.6.08. verm lk.f5.6.640.400mm.jpg
    b-w bl bird. 13.6.08. verm lk.f5.6.640.400mm.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 159
I believe Tri-Coloured BB's are endangered, and normally found on the Pacific Coast, mainly in California and Mexico. They might occur in Oregon and Washington too, but I don't know for sure.
Banff seems out of their range.
They are quite gregarious so chances are there would have been others nearby. Did you happen to see others?

Your picture looks like a male red winged BB to me, and Banff is well within their summer range as well. I'd like to hear others thoughts on the matter.

My guess would be Red-winged Blackbird with abnormally colored median coverts. The orange-red of the shoulder patch looks right to me for RWB as does the bill, though the angle makes the latter hard to judge. However, I haven't seen a Tricolored Blackbird for years & am willing to be corrected by the more knowledgible about any of this

Last edited:
If like this one I have tons of these in my yard everyday all day. I just figured a regular Red Winged Blackbird. Is this one different from the poster's blackbird? Is it a different type of blackbird say tri colored then the regular blackbird? Getting confused. They don't seem to be endangered here with so many, at least in Oklahoma.

Attachments

• blackbird.jpg
    blackbird.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 101
Took this shot of a black bird at Vermillion Lakes, Banff last June.
It looks very much like a tri-coloured blackbird as illustrated in my Smithsonian guide. However, according to that same guide, they dont occur in that region. Could it be a juvenile red-winged or have the tricoloured moved further north? help appreciated

I have never seen a Tri-colored Blackbird, but I understand that they're quite white in the median wing coverts. You can see a bit of (admittedly faded) colour toward the bases of the coverts in this bird. Looks fine for male Red-winged for me - and certainly not a juvenile! With the body plumage and epaulet that unmarked, I expect it is an "after second-year" bird, and those coverts are just a bit faded with time (since the previous fall).

Cheers,
Peter C.

I wonder if the sunlight is making the yellow look more white in the poster's photo. The national geographic field guide shows the Tri colored on the west coast for Winter.

Tricolored Blackbirds have a whiter border than this and the red is also a little darker. Red-Winged Blackbird I'm afraid.

My friend took pictures that looked exactly like your blackbird in a marsh area in Calgary city, even with the more whitish-looking coverts. He sent them to me asking what it was (he's not a birder) and I said Red winged in the end, but I was definately confused for a moment, after all, all of the BB's I had seen prior had the normal yellow coverts.

Kind of odd, I think.

yes, there were RW in the area with the normal yellow and red flashed on the wings - this was the only one i saw with the white flashes
alan

Red-Wings can have white borders at times (those in central California including the San Francisco Bay Area have no border). However compared to Tricolored Blackbirds, the red is not as dark as it is in Tricolored's. The bill is not as sharply pointed and Red-Wings are less glassy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back