• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

suet feeder over seed feeder (1 Viewer)

Bill2468

Hello :clap:

I live in Brooklyn, NY. As in "A tree grows in Brooklyn" I live in a semi attached house and keep 3 suet feeders hanging in the yard less than 10 feet from my door. As of late sparrows are having a feast on my suet, has anyone tried any commercial or home made remedy to not having the sparrows dominate my feeders? I often get woodpeckers, blue jays, cardinals, house finchs etc.

BiLL

That's interesting! I've never had sparrows on my suet feeders, just on the seed feeders, generally on platforms or hopper type feeders..
Unfortunately I know of no way to deter sparrows from seed feeders.

This seems to be a problem that a lot of people have (me included). I have about 45 sparrows in the garden at the moment, just ones and twos of other species. However, I did notice in the winter that I had much more variety of birds coming to my feeders, so maybe it's a seasonal thing.

A posible sparrow feeder problem solution !

Found a interesting gadget for sale on the internet. It is called "Sparrow-Free Magic Halo". It looks like person that can tell which end of the binocs to put up to their eyes could improvise! (waiting for a good improvised idea!)

BiLL :h?:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back