• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon EF 28-105mm F3.5-4.5 USM MK II (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Hi all,

I am after a general use lens that will allow me to wander around popping off landscape shots at the wider end whilst being ready to follow insects for macro shots.

I have come across the
Canon EF 28-105mm F3.5-4.5 USM MK II and fancy it very much especially as they come in good prices. Not much more than the f/4-5.6 too.

I use the Canon 40D so can anyone tell me this is a good lens for the camera and does it take decent macro shots?

Does using extension tubes enhance the macro facility of this lens?

Regards,
Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

I'm not a Canon user, but IMHO the maximum focal length (168 mm equiv. in 35 mm) is a little bit too short for small insects. It is acceptable for relative large butterflies/dragonflies. So, I suppose that an extension tube will be a good option.
For relative small insects I use gears with maximum focal lengths around 400 - 500 mm equiv. in 35 mm.

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the input. I have since checked some reviews and have been slightly put off which I think is a shame as there was one on an auction site for a hundred quid.

I shall be patient and keep looking. Maybe the Sigma 70-300mm APO which I think is fair value.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back