• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which 3 species have you most of in the garden at present? (1 Viewer)

Currently the three species that we had the most of:

1. House Finch
2. House Sparrow
3a. Mourning Dove
3b. Common Grackle

*We are getting about 14/15 species of birds daily in our yard (garden).

Riband Wave, Large Yellow Underwing & Dark Arches
Ooops!!! Sorry I thought this was Moth Forum ;)
Seriously though -
1.House Sparrow
2.Starling
3.Greenfinch

pduxon said:
Super yukky?? outrageous comment!!

Well for me its
1. House Sparrow
2. Blackbird (the male is in fine voice)
3. Starling

:h?:

Whoops, definitely no offense ment towards my fellow UK birders, I forget that the HOSP is well loved still in its original home territory (where its overall population hasn't gone rampant). Here, he has so overtaken many gardens, that many of our native songbirds have been pushed aside
and our native cavity nesters numbers are declining. Sorry about my slip.

Shelley

Andrew said:
1 - Starlings
2 - House Sparrows
3 - Blue Tits

That is odd as the first two are supposed to be in decline! They are all over the place. Might be down to my generous portions of seeds!?
Similar here too. Just the first two the other way around.

1) House Sparrow - usually between 10-15
2) Starling - around 8-10
3) Blue Tit - Sometimes see 3 or 4 at a time

shelley810 said:
:h?:

Whoops, definitely no offense ment towards my fellow UK birders, I forget that the HOSP is well loved still in its original home territory (where its overall population hasn't gone rampant). Here, he has so overtaken many gardens, that many of our native songbirds have been pushed aside
and our native cavity nesters numbers are declining. Sorry about my slip.

Shelley

your comment was a dethhhpicable slur on a fine bird!!

Seriously Shelley, If I may be just for a minute, I can understand why it is none too popular over there. But you have to admire it for coping so well. And the male especially is actually a rather attractive bird. Not flashy or anything, not cute but it has a certain something.

Starlings,esp juveniles,
Jackdaws
House Sparrows
closely followed by chaffinches.
Not a garden area,but backs onto allotments with lots of trees,from whence come the chaffinches,with Seagulls in hot pursuit whenever bread is around,also Collared Doves.
But I am banned from putting bread in the feeding tray,due to the Gulls doing their (you know what!!),on the neighbours washing!!.
Well,one has to compromise sometimes.

Bluetail said:
Blimey, Songbird, is there any room for people in your garden? How many of the "less common" ones do you get?

No room for people, when the Jackdaws are down, it's like a black living carpet, and when they are spooked, like something out of Hitchcock. They sit on the cables above the garden watching and waiting ....!

I do the BTO Garden Birdwatch, and its usually about 16-20 species per week, never get Jay, Woodpecker, Bullfinch, Thrush, Wood Pigeon, Chiff Chaff, although they are around the area, have seen or heard them in nearby woodland.

Well...

where I was staying in June (southern Iceland) it was 1) Great Skua, 2) Dunlin and 3) Meadow Pipit.

Today (northern Iceland) it has been 1) White Wagtail, 2) Black-headed Gull and 3) Common Redpoll.

Just wanted to make a change from all those starlings, tits and h sparrows! :eat:

Cheers,
Yann Kolbeinsson

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back