Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 18th March 2017, 18:00   #1
ChrisKten
It's true, I quite like Pigeons

Great bustards 'establishing' in the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-39314787
Old Sunday 19th March 2017, 07:28   #2
Egret

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKten View Post
Yes, till about 20 seconds after the protection is removed. Then, "bang, bang, bang" and it will all be over.
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 16:00   #3
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Yes, till about 20 seconds after the protection is removed. Then, "bang, bang, bang" and it will all be over.
Just like Stone Curlews? I'm not quite as optimistic as the news article about how near to establishing the bustards are (many a slip twixt 27 potential nests and any success at all this year) but that's ridiculous. These birds will be Schedule One for many years to come until their numbers are huge and their distribution wide.

John
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 16:49   #4
mudman

Quote:

bang bang bang ....shoot all the foxes (or at least the vast majority) within the area and they have a reasonable chance.
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 20:50   #5
Egret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Just like Stone Curlews? I'm not quite as optimistic as the news article about how near to establishing the bustards are (many a slip twixt 27 potential nests and any success at all this year) but that's ridiculous. These birds will be Schedule One for many years to come until their numbers are huge and their distribution wide.

John
I do wish I could believe that but Schedule One is little protection for birds that people want rid off,eg Hen Harrier. In this case, the attraction will be something along the lines of shooting "Britain's largest game bird"

By loss of protection I did not mean "removal of protection status" but "removal of physical protection; the eyes and ears that cannot always be there.
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 21:56   #6
Farnboro John

Quote:
I do wish I could believe that but Schedule One is little protection for birds that people want rid off,eg Hen Harrier. In this case, the attraction will be something along the lines of shooting "Britain's largest game bird"

By loss of protection I did not mean "removal of protection status" but "removal of physical protection; the eyes and ears that cannot always be there.
I'd like to know why you think people actually want rid of these? If it comes to that, any shooting interests looking to open a bustard shoot will wish to have a continuous income stream and will not countenance hunting to extermination - possibly the best protection....

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: