Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Find out what Zeiss have planned at Birdfair 2017

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Saturday 18th March 2017, 18:00   #1
ChrisKten
It's true, I quite like Pigeons
 
ChrisKten's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: London UK
Posts: 58,547
Great bustards 'establishing' in the UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-39314787
ChrisKten is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 19th March 2017, 07:28   #2
Egret
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Irvine, Scotland
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKten View Post
Yes, till about 20 seconds after the protection is removed. Then, "bang, bang, bang" and it will all be over.
Egret is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 16:00   #3
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 11,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Yes, till about 20 seconds after the protection is removed. Then, "bang, bang, bang" and it will all be over.
Just like Stone Curlews? I'm not quite as optimistic as the news article about how near to establishing the bustards are (many a slip twixt 27 potential nests and any success at all this year) but that's ridiculous. These birds will be Schedule One for many years to come until their numbers are huge and their distribution wide.

John
Farnboro John is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 16:49   #4
mudman
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: hull
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Yes, till about 20 seconds after the protection is removed. Then, "bang, bang, bang" and it will all be over.

bang bang bang ....shoot all the foxes (or at least the vast majority) within the area and they have a reasonable chance.
mudman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 20:50   #5
Egret
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Irvine, Scotland
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farnboro John View Post
Just like Stone Curlews? I'm not quite as optimistic as the news article about how near to establishing the bustards are (many a slip twixt 27 potential nests and any success at all this year) but that's ridiculous. These birds will be Schedule One for many years to come until their numbers are huge and their distribution wide.

John
I do wish I could believe that but Schedule One is little protection for birds that people want rid off,eg Hen Harrier. In this case, the attraction will be something along the lines of shooting "Britain's largest game bird"

By loss of protection I did not mean "removal of protection status" but "removal of physical protection; the eyes and ears that cannot always be there.
Egret is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 20th March 2017, 21:56   #6
Farnboro John
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Farnborough
Posts: 11,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
I do wish I could believe that but Schedule One is little protection for birds that people want rid off,eg Hen Harrier. In this case, the attraction will be something along the lines of shooting "Britain's largest game bird"

By loss of protection I did not mean "removal of protection status" but "removal of physical protection; the eyes and ears that cannot always be there.
I'd like to know why you think people actually want rid of these? If it comes to that, any shooting interests looking to open a bustard shoot will wish to have a continuous income stream and will not countenance hunting to extermination - possibly the best protection....

John
Farnboro John is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great bustards davholla Wiltshire 3 Monday 16th January 2017 13:33
Great Bustards, Little Bustards And Black-bellied Sangrouses Close To Madrid dirding trekking Spain including the Canary & Balearic Isles 0 Wednesday 23rd January 2013 17:00
Salisbury great bustards Zoot Conservation 8 Friday 9th July 2010 10:01
Great Bustards nest in the UK Rare Bird Alert Live Bird News from around the World 9 Monday 23rd July 2007 13:32

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.14833808 seconds with 16 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 22:33.