• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

European Field Guide?? (1 Viewer)

thelabirder

I am traveling to europe this summer and was looking for a good field guide and would love some suggestions. I am traveling between Britain and Greece,

Thanks!!!

If you've got an IOS device, there's also an excellent app: Collins Bird Guide for Britain & Europe.

The Collins Guide is widely regarded as the best available bird field and with good reason. The only drawback if your travels are confined to Europe is that it covers many species that you will not see and may confuse. A good supplementary guide which has the added advantage of being slimmer and handier (although the latest edition is bulkier) is "The Birdwatcher's Pocket Guide to Britain and Europe" which covers only the 'core' European species (430) see - http://www.nhbs.com/title/4873/the-...rdwatchers-pocket-guide-to-britain-and-europe Its drawback is that it lacks maps and is much less useful on vocalisations.

The Collins Guide is widely regarded as the best available bird field and with good reason. The only drawback if your travels are confined to Europe is that it covers many species that you will not see and may confuse. A good supplementary guide which has the added advantage of being slimmer and handier (although the latest edition is bulkier) is "The Birdwatcher's Pocket Guide to Britain and Europe" which covers only the 'core' European species (430) see - http://www.nhbs.com/title/4873/the-...rdwatchers-pocket-guide-to-britain-and-europe Its drawback is that it lacks maps and is much less useful on vocalisations.

I agree with John and others who say Collins is best

"The Birdwatcher's pocket guide to Britain and Europe",as John pointed, is a great guide,The illustrations are excellent ,of course ,for the original version is a classic of enormous scientific value..The size / amount of information information is a good compromise ..I think this Hayman & Hume's pocket version is an excellent choice for travelling

"The Birdwatcher's pocket guide to Britain and Europe",as John pointed, is a great guide,The illustrations are excellent ,of course ,for the original version is a classic of enormous scientific value..The size / amount of information is a good compromise ..I think this Hayman & Hume's pocket version is an excellent choice for travelling

Good to see we agree on this. It's a pity that despite all the revisions and alterations since it originally appeared 15 years ago the one common complaint - the lack of maps - hasn't been addressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back