• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica - Gitzo head and tripod equivalents (1 Viewer)

fmorais

Hi all.

I have a Leica Trica 1 Tripod (42223) with
a Leica DH1 Head (42226) (= Gitzo G2180)

I was wondering if anyone knew what are the Gitzo equivalents/twins to this parts.
I think that the head is equal to "Gitzo G2180" but what about the tripod itself ?
I recently had some problems with one tripod leg and it is easier to find parts if we speak about the Gitzo equivalent, at least over here.

Thanks
Frederico

Last edited:
Hi all.

I have a Leica Trica 1 Tripod (42223) with
a Leica DH1 Head (42226) (= Gitzo G2180)

I was wondering if anyone knew what are the Gitzo equivalents/twins to this parts.
I think that the head is equal to "Gitzo G2180" but what about the tripod itself ?
I recently had some problems with one tripod leg and it is easier to find parts if we speak about the Gitzo equivalent, at least over here.

Thanks
Frederico
Hello Frederico,

You're correct about the head - it's a G2180 (I've got one myself).
The legs are a different story. As far as I know, Gitzo only produced twist lock carbon fiber legs in the time frame of the Leica Trica. The Trica legs are lever locked, so Manfrotto is the obvious possibility. Of course, there were many other lever lock CFs on the market at that time sooooo......

Sorry I can't be more helpful. In USA Lens Authority is a photo rental shop with long history, they might have better information.

Best,
Jerry

Hi Jerry.

Thanks for the reply.

Hum...It seems next time I have a problem with this tripod the obvious choice is to buy a new one.
I love the head but I've never been a great fan of the tripod legs.

Regards and Merry Christmas
Frederico

...It seems next time I have a problem with this tripod the obvious choice is to buy a new one....I love the head but I've never been a great fan of the tripod legs...

Perhaps it is worth asking what trouble you are having with the legs. I'm not familiar with this tripod, but based on pictures it looks like it combines Manfrotto/Bogen and Gitzo design features. The leg locks look Manfrotto/Bogen-like. If your trouble is with the leg locks, you can likely resolve the trouble with a small adjustment to the screws. If a new screw or spring is needed, an equivalent part can be obtained from a well stocked hardware store, just make sure to get it in stainless steel.

--AP

Hi Alexis.

Actually what happened was much more problematic.
One of the legs fell off during one of my trips. Not good if you are in the middle of the jungle...

Let's see if I can explain what happened clearly enough.
The top segment of the leg has a screw that holds it to the metal part on top of the tripod. The screw passes through a hole in the carbon leg. What happened was that the hole in the carbon ripped/enlarged to the edge of the segment and thus causing the leg to fall.
For the remainder of the trip we had to keep using the tripod with loads of tape on that leg.

For now, we turned over the leg 180º, made a new hole and tighten everything again. Seems more or less a good fix and solid enough.
But a best fix would have been to find a spare segment or leg.
The problem is what to order / how to order one and preferably for a price lower that the price of the tripod itself. Another question over here is where to send it to get it repaired. It's not easy to find good repair shops for this kind of material.

Best regards and Merry Christmas
Frederico

Hmm. I'm not aware that any Manfrotto/Bogen/Gitzo tripods have ever used that method of leg attachement, so maybe it isn't a Vitec Group product after all. Although it might cause problems for later diassembly, I'd think you might be able to make the attachement more secure by using epoxy, or some other sort of putty filler within the top of the tube penetrated by the screw/bolt.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back