• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Favourite, Not Your Best, Bins? (1 Viewer)

favorite-for what?

I have ten pair and of those seven are my favorites (each for a specific use)
favorite all around/hand held astronomy/ tripod mounted/shore birds/raptors/hiking/flowers and bug/closed in wooded areas/ and other uses

so my favorite depends on the task at hand

edj

My new favorite is the Leica Noctivid 8x42 because of its pleasant focusdrive , great microcontrast and ease of view.
3 parameters where my swaro el runs behind!

favorite-for what?

favorite all around/hand held astronomy/ tripod mounted/shore birds/raptors/hiking/flowers and bug/closed in wooded areas/ and other uses

edj

Good question Edj if you don't have one that always seems to end up in your hands. So which one would take out to a habitat that wasn't wide open and big but wasn't forest, maybe a mixture of scrub, open areas, a few trees and a couple of pools with a stream running through the site. Lets say it is late spring or early summer and its the sort of place where almost any birds might turn up and with a good chance of butterflies and dragonflies and a range of flowers might be present.

Lee

I let off enough hot air in ruffled feathers that I decided to be still for a while. 😀😀😀😀

Hey SD, you have been quiet for a long time. Great to hear from you and it doesn't matter what makes a bin your favourite so good for you for choosing that 6.5x.

Please be sure and say Hi to Billy Bob for me.

Cheers Lee

favorite-for what?

edj

but my most used is zeiss fl 8x32 ( for short walks)

We walked a river canyon yesterday (here in Idaho) and once again, I grabbed my Zeiss 8x32 HD over the 8x42 HT's. The HT's are unquestionably better and brighter but I love the size of the 8x32 HD's. I don't feel I miss much when using them. However, at home, I always grab the HT's.

My favourites, although I have/have had supposedly better bins, are Nikon SE 8x32 and Meopta Meostar 7x42.

I don't just like the fantastic view of the SE, what makes it great is the way it sits in the hand. And it's a porro.

The Meopta I am listing here because of nostalgia. I wish i ahdn't sold it. Despite its weight and slight yellowish cast that was noticeable only occasionally, its a great binocular and like the SE felt very comfortable in the hand. I changed it for a Zeiss FL 7x42 which is a great binocular but I do miss the Meopta still.

From my small collection, I'd like to nominate my 6.5x32 Viking MD. It's not near my best (UV7x42HD) and has been demoted to my garden bins, but gives a pleasant view and is unbeatable (in my collection) for its close-up ability. The view when in close up has given me new insights into the bug world. I've spent many lazy afternoons watching the bees and other bugs on the flowering shrubs in my garden...a new fascination. If they were to be lost or damaged, I would have to look for a similar replacement..... Through them, I have discovered that my grass lawn is incredibly rough, hosting quite diverse life and plants.

(UV7x42HD, M7 8x30, 8x32SRGA, 8x42HRWP, MCF7x23)

Last edited:
From my small collection, I'd like to nominate my 6.5x32 Viking MD. It's not near my best (UV7x42HD) and has been demoted to my garden bins, but gives a pleasant view and is unbeatable (in my collection) for its close-up ability. The view when in close up has given me new insights into the bug world. I've spent many lazy afternoons watching the bees and other bugs on the flowering shrubs in my garden...a new fascination. If they were to be lost or damaged, I would have to look for a similar replacement..... Through them, I have discovered that my grass lawn is incredibly rough, hosting quite diverse life and plants.

(UV7x42HD, M7 8x30, 8x32SRGA, 8x42HRWP, MCF7x23)

Your Vikings haven't been demoted at all, they have just found their place in your life and you are enjoying them.

Lee

Out of my dozen or so binoculars i have 2 favorites, the reason i have a dozen or so is for reference and to remind me why my favorites are just that, and to imagine what might be in the future. Looking for a 3rd favorite just for fun.

1. Canon 10x42 L IS WP
2. Swarovski 8x25 Pocket CL

My Leica Ultravid BL 8x42. I just love the feel of leather rather than smelly rubber, they are lightweight due to the lack of rubber armor and they look simply gorgeous.
I do use my Swarovski EL SV 8.5x42 more often, though.

My favorite isn't what I use most, but I smile and shake my head every time I see a view through my bargain bin($70) Yosemite 6x30's. Too bad the cold weather here has me grabbing something else from November through March due to focus tension issues with this configuration. I also have the Kowa 6x30 which I haven't used as much. They seem equal.

My favorite isn't what I use most, but I smile and shake my head every time I see a view through my bargain bin($70) Yosemite 6x30's. Too bad the cold weather here has me grabbing something else from November through March due to focus tension issues with this configuration. I also have the Kowa 6x30 which I haven't used as much. They seem equal.

Those little Yosemites work very well for the money.

My Leica Ultravid BL 8x42. I just love the feel of leather rather than smelly rubber, they are lightweight due to the lack of rubber armor and they look simply gorgeous.

They do look gorgeous and if they did them in 32mm Troubadoris would be queuing up to get a pair.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back