Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Experience the Great Outdoors. New Zeiss Terra ED Binoculars. Visit our online shop to find out more!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Monday 24th April 2017, 21:04   #26
simonm001

Odd green-wings

Wow...a few really strange plants there jml especially the multi-coloured plants.
Rich yours could almost be hyperchrome surely?
Old Monday 24th April 2017, 22:34   #27
MarkHows
Seeking Non Natives

The Burren

I am going to Ireland in late May and will pop to the Burren for Orchids, can anyone help with locations for the specialties.

Please PM

Many thanks

Mark

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 25th April 2017, 15:33   #28
rmielcarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by leptochila View Post
Never seen a colour form like that before....

I was examining a Bristol Green-winged colony a couple of weeks ago but didn't see this one!
Here's another three plants with a similar lip pattern, just not so heavily pigmented, close to Si's plant. There are about half a dozen of the dark version. I've seen GWO's with reduced and no lip patterning, don't recall ever seeing ones where the patterning is lumped together into one big blob.

Mike - I suspect that your Bristol colony isn't the one that Si and I are looking at!

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06668.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	624195  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06704.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	624196  
Old Tuesday 25th April 2017, 21:16   #29
rmielcarek

Green-winged variation

Here's another unusual GWO lip pattern, although I have seen this one a few times before, with the lip lacking any patterning even though pigment is present.

Rich M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06783.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	743.8 KB
ID:	624236  
Old Wednesday 26th April 2017, 16:52   #30
leptochila

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmielcarek View Post
Mike - I suspect that your Bristol colony isn't the one that Si and I are looking at!

Rich
Evidently not...

Mine was along the edge of Ashton Court golf course
Old Wednesday 26th April 2017, 19:06   #31
rmielcarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by leptochila View Post
Evidently not...

Mine was along the edge of Ashton Court golf course
I'm ashamed to say that although I only live a few miles south of Bristol I have never been to see the colony at Ashton Court. Mind you I've got three colonies even closer to home.

Rich
Old Yesterday, 08:07   #32
gpg

Frost yesterday morning (-1C) damaged quite a number of flowering GWOs & both D. praetermissa & P. bifolia in bud.
Old Yesterday, 19:08   #33
Allewes

East Sussex specialities

I've visited two special sites near Lewes this week with mixed experiences. At Caburn Bottom, just one Burnt Orchid fully out - they're small here so three inches is a good size - in beautiful condition. Three others just half an inch high emerging from grass. It feels early for the other flora up there, so it may be that more will emerge but after a thorough search there, it feels like it could be another very thin year. In contrast at Castle Hill NNR earlier in the week, Early Spiders out in good numbers in beautiful afternoon sun. Again they are mainly up to two inches so patience and care are required. Two to three hundred out with many still in bud and those in flower still extending. Lovely to be able to get multiple flowers in the same photo - quite a few decent size spikes close together which doesn't always happen for me, at least in numbers I saw this week. Beautiful location and well worth a visit. I'd guess good for at least two more weeks. Early purples more abundant here than in recent years too. Will revisit Caburn in ten days and hope my pessimism is unfounded!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: