• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon SX50 Specs (2 Viewers)

Having kept an eye on this thread for a while, while waiting for the price to drop sufficiently to justify buying a camera which is probably only going to be used sporadically, I finally got my hands on one at the weekend. I've posted a few photos on my blog....

http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/testing-toy-141214.html

and one that isn't on the blog, but may be of interest to a couple of posters here....

Norwegian Air Shuttle Boeing 787 EI-LNB "Thor Heyerdahl"

Settings used were the ones posted on here. Probably saved me a lot of time and effort.

Attachments

• IMG_0085res.jpg
    IMG_0085res.jpg
    413.2 KB · Views: 153
Having kept an eye on this thread for a while, while waiting for the price to drop sufficiently to justify buying a camera which is probably only going to be used sporadically, I finally got my hands on one at the weekend. I've posted a few photos on my blog....

http://stonefactionbirding2014.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/testing-toy-141214.html

and one that isn't on the blog, but may be of interest to a couple of posters here....

Norwegian Air Shuttle Boeing 787 EI-LNB "Thor Heyerdahl"

Settings used were the ones posted on here. Probably saved me a lot of time and effort.

Here you go if you like airplanes :)

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=268621

The SX50 continues to amaze me

The SX50 continues to amaze me. I took some pictures of a kingfisher after 3 pm on an overcast December day in England (are there any other types of day in England?). I wasn't expecting much because it was getting quite dark - sunset was at 4:01pm.

They're all hand-held on on maximum optical zoom, and the largest one had either 1.5x or 2x tele-converter. Exposure times were1/30th and 1/20th, and ISO was set to 800 (by the camera, not me).

I fiddled with them a bit in Apple's aperture program.

They're clearly not going to win any prizes, but I'm very pleased with them!

Attachments

• Kingfisher.jpg
    Kingfisher.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 292
  • Kingfisher (2).jpg
    Kingfisher (2).jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 192
  • Kingfisher (1).jpg
    Kingfisher (1).jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 203
In most situations I've been in, the critter appears unexpectedly, lingers a moment and is gone. I'd never wander about with a tripod.
Suely you were commenting on someone else's post and not you own!!!!. I was just commenting on your statement that 'those long exposures wouldn't be possible without the image stabilization'.
A good tripod and head will yield better results than hand holding with IS that's for sure so those long exposures without IS are possible - Because you do not choose to use a tripod does not alter this fact ;).
BTW for anyone out there wanting to improve the Image quality from this Camera, especially when at the long end, a tripod and good head is the way to go. Of course if you just want average record shots then hand holding will suffice.

Roy C, your own photographs are the best evidence that the SX50 can produce more than record shots, handheld. The typical user of the SX50 is probably rather a birder than striving for ultimate image quality. Still, the SX50 has been an enormous improvement for me, vs my former Canon 600D + Tamron 70-300 + Keno 1.4 TK. Even the burst mode which you have called a "gimmick" is a very helpful feature for a beginner. Kind of an emergency solution for unexperienced users when everything else fails.

However, this camera remains a compromise, and I am not tempted to carry a tripod around on my daily walks. Theoretically, my bird photographs will be better with a tripod, for sure. Theoretically there is also the option to photograph birds from a self-constructed hide or attract birds by feeding, Varesvuo style. While I much admire Varesvuo's photographs, not every theoretical possibility is also realistic.

Has anybody used CHDK on the SX50?

I've read about CHDK, but it didn't seem to offer much for bird photography. Am I wrong? With CHDK the SX50 would be able to shoot faster exposure series: a speedy "sssrrr" instead of "click-click-click", reducing the danger that the bird is moving out of focus. Still, it doesn't seem worth it.

Edit: It would be handy if CHDK would make the "burst" mode more flexible, e.g. offering slower burst speeds (sometimes you rather want to have 10 shots in 3 seconds than in 1 second). However, in one of the comment threads someone explained that CHDK has no influence on programmed modes like "burst". That's a pity. - Sample burst: a diving Tufted Duck.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 127
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 120
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
If there is someone who owns both the SX50 and its predecessor SX40 - are you preferring the SX40 on rainy December days? It was one of the main points of criticism that the SX50 had the "slower" lens, when this camera was introduced two+ years ago. And I have to admit that my rate of pleasing shots on winter days is a bit frustrating...

My wife uses my old SX40 to photograph gravestones of all things. The 40 is noticeably better in low light than the 50.

Last edited:
The 40 is far better in low light than both its successors - so much so that my girlf takes it on our hols so I can nab it if we're photoing in low light! Don't think the 60 would get half as many shots in somewhere like the Madagascan rainforests that my 40 did......

SX50 "Shutter Lag"

At the risk of exposing myself to ridicule as a total digital muppet - is the significant "shutter lag" a feature that all digital bridge cameras such as the SX50 suffer from? ie. is it something I just have to put up with, or can I adjust some settings to reduce the time taken to capture a shot once the button is pressed? (I realise the phrase "shutter lag" is probably the wrong description - not sure if a digital camera actually has such a thing as shutter anymore?)

I seem to spend my time reviewing pictures I have taken of the spot a bird was perched on, just before it flew away ! I have an awful lot of "empty twig" pictures. Having previously used a Canon 50D and 400 prime lens in an earlier incarnation as a birder who took bird photos, I don't recall any sort of delay affecting me before.

I have had to resort to taking the strap off the camera, so as to resist the temptation to use it to swing the camera around and around before launching it into the sea in disgust. Help !!

I have never noticed any lag between the time that I actually fully press the shutter button and the camera takes the picture. There is often a lag when half-pressing the shutter button as the camera works on the focus and there is a lag that I create between when the camera says it's focused and I decide to take the photo.

I do often end up with an empty twig photo but I swear that birds have a 6th sense and know when the camera gets a focus and fly off before I press the button all the way.

Suely you were commenting on someone else's post and not you own!!!!. I was just commenting on your statement that 'those long exposures wouldn't be possible without the image stabilization'.
A good tripod and head will yield better results than hand holding with IS that's for sure so those long exposures without IS are possible - Because you do not choose to use a tripod does not alter this fact ;).
BTW for anyone out there wanting to improve the Image quality from this Camera, especially when at the long end, a tripod and good head is the way to go. Of course if you just want average record shots then hand holding will suffice.

I agree that most SX50 users are birders who want a picture rather than a photographer who photographs birds and most birders will have their scopes set up on the tripod. I have had good results hand held but recently taken to using a carbon fibre Manfrotto monopod: really light, easy to carry and makes a huge difference to the stability of the camera. I had always been sceptical about monopods but I am a committed user now.

Having previously used a Canon 50D and 400 prime lens in an earlier incarnation as a birder who took bird photos, I don't recall any sort of delay affecting me before.

From a review of the SX50: "Shutter lag [...] is very good at 0.3 second in bright lighting and 0.5 in dimmer conditions. From shot to shot, you're waiting an average of 1.6 seconds; with flash that time goes up to 2.4 seconds."

So I guess the SX50 is slow for someone who is used to the 50D (shutter lag: 0.059 seconds), but fast for a bridge camera.

Some recent photographs. For the wet Gold Crest in the rain it would have been great to have a dslr and the 400mm prime lens! The Tawny Owl sat there for hours. The first wild owl I ever met.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 134
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    376.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 148
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back