• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland flowers ID (1 Viewer)

Thanks folks :)

So, the question is, how would it have got to such a remote location? The nearest habitation was probably at remote farmhouses half a mile away in any direction.

Bit of root stuck to mud on someone's boots, would be my guess. Or someone fly-tipping some garden rubbish (it's amazing how far out of their way people will go to dump stuff illegally!).

Well, another weekend, another disrupted cycle ride or two (it's quite tiring screeching to a halt every few hundred yards to take another photo of the grass verge....), another batch of unknowns!

Firstly, a couple from the coast, Snab Point near Cresswell, to be precise.

The first one - I haven't a clue. There were several small patches of these delicate pink flowers with hairy leaves. Should be easy to identify, I'm sure, but I can't find anything close in my guide.

And second, another umbellifera, which I think I should also know, but can't seem to get quite right. Could be yarrow, but the single flower heads are confusing me.

And then a third from Druridge Bay, which I am pretty sure is Monk's Hood, but the distribution maps don't seem to put it this far north....

Attachments

• SP1.jpg
    SP1.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 95
  • SP2.jpg
    SP2.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 79
  • monkshood.jpg
    monkshood.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
#1 - Common Restharrow Ononis repens.
#2 - not an umbellifer at all ;) yes, it's a Yarrow Achillea millefolium (daisy family).
#3 - yep, Monk's-hood Aconitum napellus. Not native up here, an infrequent garden escape.

#2 - not an umbellifer at all ;) yes, it's a Yarrow Achillea millefolium (daisy family).

|:$| oops

So, some more from this last weekend....

The first one is (hopefully!) another umbellifera species, and I think is possible upright hedge parsley...

Then a purple flower spike which I am fairly confident is Hedge Woundwort, but it seems there could be other similar species

Next, a couple of shots of a bright pink small flower with distinctive red foliage - not a clue!

And finally, a rather out-of-focus shot of a yellow flower which could be nipplewort (and could just as easily be unidentifiable!)

Attachments

• WHF1.jpg
    WHF1.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 75
  • hedge_woundwort.jpg
    hedge_woundwort.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 75
  • EC1.jpg
    EC1.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 84
  • EC2.jpg
    EC2.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 82
  • MP1.jpg
    MP1.jpg
    315 KB · Views: 90
(1) Rough chervil (?)
(2) yes
(3/4) Red Campion
(5) yes

Thanks. Rough chervil looks a good call. I've another photo of the stems which are purplish red and slightly hairy, which seems to be right.

How certain are you on red campion? The flowers were tiny and the foliage red all over, and not like any red campion I've seen (in all my...err... weeks of wildflower identification!)

Just a couple from the last few days, which I just need a confirmation on. It's another couple of umbellifera, which I think are

1. wild carrot Daucus carota

and

2. wild parsnip Pastinaca sativa (with a common red soldier beetle(?))

Attachments

• wild_carrot1.jpg
    wild_carrot1.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 74
  • wild_carrot2.jpg
    wild_carrot2.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 88
  • wild_parsnip.jpg
    wild_parsnip.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 88
Next!

So, I've identified these lovely clusters of yellow flowers as Lady's Bedstraw, and at the time I thought the other yellow flowers were Common Bird's-foot Trefoil, but on second thoughts, I am wondering if this could be Greater Bird's-foot Trefoil, as the flowers are quite tall...?

Attachments

• ladys_bedstraw.jpg
    ladys_bedstraw.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 82
Here are a couple more photos, if that helps...

Attachments

• Pegswood1.jpg
    Pegswood1.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Pegswood3.jpg
    Pegswood3.jpg
    841.4 KB · Views: 74
And here's the only other unknown from this weekend, seen in Harthope Valley.

Attachments

• Harthope_flower1.jpg
    Harthope_flower1.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 80
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back