• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Footgear for Gambel (Alaska) (1 Viewer)

veagle

I will be going to Nome and Gambel next June, and would be interested to hear from any birders who have been there as to the appropriate footwear. I have a heavy pair of Sorel insulated boots, that I've used below 0F in Northern Minnesota, but they are pretty heavy. I'm hearing about NEOS overshoes, but it would seem these would go over tennis shoes. Any thoughts, shared experiences would be much welcomed. Thanks.

Veagle (Dick Latuchie)

Nome last June was very comfortable for tennis shoes, although I was wearing the Ecco II boots, which are waterproof. These made cross country walking much easier, because one could ignore puddles.
I used NEOS Trekker overshoes on top of these boots while in Barrow, which made walking in the muskeg simpler.
However, there were a couple of veteran birders in our party who stuck with tennis shoes throughout. They just shrugged off the wet feet as part of the experience. They certainly were less encumbered than I was.
Warmth was not a big problem even in Barrow, although there was still lots of offshore ice and snow in the hollows. The main advantage of boots imho was better ankle support going over rocky terrain. The heavy Sorels would really be overkill for Nome in June. Gambel may be different, but I've never been.
The other benefit of the NEOS is that they pack small, unlike big insulated boots.

Last edited:
Hi, Dick-
I just noticed this thread and would like to comment that my wife and I bought and used Neos for our Alaska trip last June. The Neos will fit over larger shoes if sized to do so. For instance, I used them over hiking boots and heavy socks. They worked well as waterproof footware. I went for the tallest model they offered thinking that the design of the cinch strap at the boot top would work best if it was above the fatter part of my calf so it wouldn't slip. That line of thinking seemed to work but they still slipped down a bit during active walking unless cinched down fairly tight. As far as the fit over smaller shoes or just socks, I have not yet tried them in a much warmer situation. At some point, they may be valuable to use them to avoid insects like ticks or chiggers or even just dewy grass.

We were fortunate to have relatively dry weather while in Nome, using the Neos only a couple of times for wet tundra/bog walking and a few times for the cold. Even without any insulating lining, I think the extra layer helps to hold a bit of warmth as well. We went in early June and only once reached the 55 degree mark. Gray skies and temps in upper 30's and low 40's were the norm, with falling snow in one location. As etudiant relates, they were easy to pack. Heavily insulating boots would work for only one purpose, though, in South Dakota, you are certain to find additional times to make use of them.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back