• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D7200 Menu Setting Question (1 Viewer)

JTF

My main subjects are birds and nature related photography.

I currently have Focus for my selection for these 2 menu settings:

AF-C priority selection:
AF-S priority selection:

Is this the correct or best settings for photographing birds mostly. Most of my images are good but do get some misses from time to time. I have seen various opinions on these 2 settings but would like advice from bird photographers. It gives you 2 choices: Focus or Release in the menu.
Thanks for any input or advice.

Last edited:
Going to throw a curve ball,have you considered BBF,back button focus,the beauty of it is you hava C and S on the same button.

The camera will only focus when you press the button so if you have a bird in a bush press the back button focus then release,you can then recompose as much as you like and take pictures but the camera will not refocus until you press the button again,keep it pressed and it will keep focusing,
Loads of vids on the tube about it.

Sorry if you know about it and dont want it.

That is worth trying for sure, will setup my menu for that and give it a try for the next outing.

My main subjects are birds and nature related photography.

I currently have Focus for my selection for these 2 menu settings:

AF-C priority selection:
AF-S priority selection:

Is this the correct or best settings for photographing birds mostly. Most of my images are good but do get some misses from time to time. I have seen various opinions on these 2 settings but would like advice from bird photographers. It gives you 2 choices: Focus or Release in the menu.
Thanks for any input or advice.

For birds you should always be in AF-C so that the camera will Continuously re-focus as the subject moves. Especially important for birds-in-flight otherwise only the first frame will be in focus. I use Focus and Release as I do want the first frame to be in focus. I like to be at 1/2,000 second or faster with the Shutter and I don't worry too much about the iso. Let it float but set an upper limit of iso 3200 for the D7200. Gets too noisy higher than that.
Important - switch off VR if you are at fast shutter speeds. It slows down AF.
Hope this helps,
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back