• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BlackRapid Alternatives? - shoulder pain with new lens (1 Viewer)

Ben88

I was excited to get a Canon 400 f4 DO IS II last week, but unfortunately I'm experiencing shoulder pain carrying it with a BlackRapid RS-Sport Extreme Sport Strap. Are there any alternative straps which would provide better support? My setup is about 7.5 lbs total.

I don't think I'd want to use a Cotton Carrier, as I do much of my photography in tropical rainforests.

Never really understood the need for such an expensive, over-the-top strap when the thick Optech neoprene straps are so good - that's what I use with the same lens, works fine.

Shoulder pain is not something to ignore, it is not easily cured and can easily become chronic. :(

Your BlackRapid strap is an excellent carrier by all accounts and a well designed shoulder strap.
Perhaps a different model from another manufacturer would work better for you, but it may be that your shoulder is sensitive to the unbalanced weight of the single strap setup. A harness setup might work better than a strap because it balances the load.
BlackRapid makes a dual camera harness that might work for you and there are many options from the hunting and law enforcement suppliers. They are less easily shifted than straps and probably less comfortable in the tropics, but they do ease the stress on the shoulders.

Shoulder pain is not something to ignore, it is not easily cured and can easily become chronic. :(

Your BlackRapid strap is an excellent carrier by all accounts and a well designed shoulder strap.
Perhaps a different model from another manufacturer would work better for you, but it may be that your shoulder is sensitive to the unbalanced weight of the single strap setup. A harness setup might work better than a strap because it balances the load.
BlackRapid makes a dual camera harness that might work for you and there are many options from the hunting and law enforcement suppliers. They are less easily shifted than straps and probably less comfortable in the tropics, but they do ease the stress on the shoulders.

Do you know anyone who has used a dual camera harness to support a single camera? A harness is a good idea, but I haven't been able to find one that is (1) designed to carry one heavy camera rather than two and (2) wouldn't interfere with wearing binoculars around my neck.

Do you know anyone who has used a dual camera harness to support a single camera? A harness is a good idea, but I haven't been able to find one that is (1) designed to carry one heavy camera rather than two and (2) wouldn't interfere with wearing binoculars around my neck.

I've used harnesses extensively, picking models that were belt attached so they act like suspenders for my heavy Canon 10x42. The conventional Swaro type harness I found uncomfortable and it chafes, so best avoided.
Sadly, the harnesses I used (and modified) are no longer offered. Vero Vellini had one that maybe is still found on Ebay. I've switched to an OpTech over the shoulder strap for my Canon, easier to manage than a harness when wearing cold weather gear.

In your case, I'd think the harness should be for the heavy camera/lens unit with the binocs over one shoulder on your Blackrapid strap. There is surely some suitable harness available, but you may have to pay extra to have it customized to your specs.
Do it, it is well worth avoiding possible injury from heavy unbalanced gear.

I was excited to get a Canon 400 f4 DO IS II last week, but unfortunately I'm experiencing shoulder pain carrying it with a BlackRapid RS-Sport Extreme Sport Strap. Are there any alternative straps which would provide better support? My setup is about 7.5 lbs total.

I don't think I'd want to use a Cotton Carrier, as I do much of my photography in tropical rainforests.
Ben,

I'm carrying a similar amount of weight 6lb+ (Tamron 150-600 + Nikon D7100) on an identical BR strap. As I am right handed, the strap rests on my left trap, and I carefully adjust the sling length so that the camera rig sits up on the hip so as not to bang around too much when walking. I also use the little safety strap which goes around the upper left arm. I am careful with the attachment clip, never using it as leverage to tighten the attachment screw - though there is just the most minor wear and diameter reduction on the clip, it is nothing like the just about to wear through, break, and drop that I have seen others suffer. I have my bins on a neck strap under this sling and so can lift them to my eyes and even look up before the sling starts to impede further movement.

Ideally, there would be a double sided sling so that the camera rig sits on one side, and the bins on the other - swapping over would alleviate any core tilt or fatigue - this is really the only issue I have found - I've never felt any uncomfortable load through the shoulders ....

Sounds too me like either you have a shoulder injury which is sensitized to even minor loads, or your setup might be adjusted better so that the load hangs from the trap, upper back and chest, and the rig sits by your waist in such a way that there is no need to hitch the shoulder up which would certainly cause pain through fatigue of these relatively small muscles .... ? Just a thought ..... :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Ben, you could try adding extra padding and rotating it between shoulders after a certain amount of time.

I use the Black Rapid to carry 1DX with 2x with 600 f4II. This is about 13 pounds. It's not great but I'm usually okay for 4-6 hours up to 4 miles walking. I have added extra padding to my Black Rapid. I took extra camera bag dividers and a bunch of electrical tape to make the shoulder pad wider and more cushy.

I also carry a second camera on a cotton carrier usually the 7D2 with 100-400. I have used the cotton carrier for the 7D2 and 400 DOII but with the hood down it makes it a bit awkward for walking.

Ben,

Sounds too me like either you have a shoulder injury which is sensitized to even minor loads, or your setup might be adjusted better so that the load hangs from the trap, upper back and chest, and the rig sits by your waist in such a way that there is no need to hitch the shoulder up which would certainly cause pain through fatigue of these relatively small muscles .... ? Just a thought ..... :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Thanks for the suggestion. I think the problem is that I've been lifting weights for years without stretching :p. I will try to adjust my strap to better distribute the load.

I think I may have found a solution. I got a SpiderPro belt, and while the camera is uncomfortable with it or the BlackRapid strap alone, I can adjust them so that they share the weight comfortably. Has anyone else tried this combination? I'm going to walk around inside for a bit with it (I'm trying to keep the option to return the lens open) before going for a hike. I'll post back here with my decision.

I think I may have found a solution. I got a SpiderPro belt, and while the camera is uncomfortable with it or the BlackRapid strap alone, I can adjust them so that they share the weight comfortably. Has anyone else tried this combination? I'm going to walk around inside for a bit with it (I'm trying to keep the option to return the lens open) before going for a hike. I'll post back here with my decision.

The military learned long ago that a sidearm needs more than just belt support, so they added an over the shoulder strap to distribute the load.
If you're ok with the heavy camera/lens combo dangling from your belt, you've solved the problem. :t:

I use a black rapid harness for my 7D mkii and 300mm f2.8is, there is also a bino attachment available. I made my own bino solution. I can only recommend going down that line, allthough the harness is alittle side heavy with only one cam attached, but still much better than neckstraps... maybe I will modify it so I can attach the "empty" side to my belt or pants :)

I use the Peak Design straps that connect to two locations on the camera. It is a great strap that I heartily recommend. That said I have no idea if it will help with your shoulder.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back