• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China bans ivory trade (1 Viewer)

It'll put the trade underground and won't have much effect at all - story yesterday about 3 TONS of Pangolin scales being intercepted in China says it all really.

This won't make the demand go away, it will put the price up, making it more appealing for the poachers.

I've been lucky enough to have seen lots of African Elephants over the years. It would be good if they were still there for my Grandchildren.

It'll put the trade underground and won't have much effect at all - story yesterday about 3 TONS of Pangolin scales being intercepted in China says it all really.

This won't make the demand go away, it will put the price up, making it more appealing for the poachers.

I've been lucky enough to have seen lots of African Elephants over the years. It would be good if they were still there for my Grandchildren.

So, you think the ban's a retrograde step, then?

I share your concerns but OTOH, the ban could be the expression of a gradual cultural change regarding these issues, or at least contribute to it.

That link doesn't lead anywhere.
edit: wtf, there's an ad site in between. That's just bad form from the newspaper.

It's been happening to other people as well. When I complained to NYT "support", this is all I got back--

". . .Non-subscribers to the NYTimes are allows (sic!) 10 articles a month. If the recipient of your shared emails has exceeded this limit, they will not be able to access the articles you have sent until the next month. . .".

Agree, very poor form, short-sighted and stupid. You'd think they'd want their articles shared with non-subscribers! At the very least, there should be an explanation of why access is being denied. I'll complain again for all the good that's likely to do. . ..

". . .Non-subscribers to the NYTimes are allows (sic!) 10 articles a month. If the recipient of your shared emails has exceeded this limit, they will not be able to access the articles you have sent until the next month. . .".
You can get round this by either (a) opening the link in a new private window (which doesn't reveal your IP address, so isn't counted against the month quota), or (b) going into your cookies and deleting all the ones added by nytimes :t:

Both options fairly easy when using firefox; don't know about other browsers.

You can get round this by either (a) opening the link in a new private window (which doesn't reveal your IP address, so isn't counted against the month quota), or (b) going into your cookies and deleting all the ones added by nytimes :t:

Both options fairly easy when using firefox; don't know about other browsers.

Thanks for that. Nice to know.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back