• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Internal build questions for Nikon E and EII? (1 Viewer)

Canuck Bob

I tried looking up the spout of my 8X EII but have no idea of what I'm seeing. Please help me with understanding my bins and the E series (wish list). This is focused on understanding possible mods to improve some nice classic porros.

First I'm planning replacement of the rain guard, happy with strap, and Bushwacker protectors for the 30mm barrels. The makeshift rubber armour makes sense from recommendations and close scrutiny of auction pics.

What internal systems are in place for controlling stray light? Do you consider they could be improved with some added mods?

Do they have blackened edges were possible, including prism?

They are eccentric ring adjusted for collimation. I understand this is a good thing?

Are the Es prone to bubbling or disintegrating covers as sometime reported with older bins. The EIIs are the black version so hopefully that works out.

Any other build issues that are not well recorded. Any Es I stumble on will automatically go for a precision CLA because it just makes sense, no ongoing hard grease or haze issues expected and a proper collimation.

I have one of the older 8x30 E2s. I got it about 2001. I've had to re-glue the rubber coverings on the combination prism housings and objective tubes a couple of times. (The 8x30 E2 doesn't have any real objective tubes so to speak--The objectives screw into the prism housings for all practical purposes.) The rubber coverings have come off again and I decided to use it for a while with no coverings. It doesn't hurt it.

It is a unique small Porro prism binocular with its oversized prisms. I assume this is why it has such a wide FOV. It also has a lot of pincushioning at the edges of the view. These edges can be dialed into sharpness if you want but I never found it necessary to do so in normal use. Even following warblers and other small birds through tree branches with it was never a problem.

No binocular is perfect, even the E2 and I never saw any need to jury rig mine with "improvements." It is what it is! It is perhaps the best and most versatile small binocular ever made for general birding. :t:

It is suitable for close up birding with warblers and for distance birding at Hawk Watches.

Bob

Last edited:
Why do you think they need improving, at least why do they need ''internal'' improving?

I have over emphasized the mod angle. There is nothing wrong in any way wth the EIIs. I do suffer from the curse of tinkering. As far as the EIIs are concerned I just want to understand how they are built. Such things interest me greatly and enhance my hobbies. Coatings, baffles, flocking. focus system, eyepiece design, and such.

The mod questions do apply to a lucky E series find. As I plan a CLA any internal mods considered beneficial are on the table so to speak. I consider such endeavours lots of fun. Let's call it hot rodding a classic bin rather than a classic car. I was amazed to read about swapping E parts to make a 6x30 and 9x35 on BF. That would be a dandy 6x, customized for control of stray light, and a nifty story! Too bad Es are in such high demand.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back