• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi. Need help w/ nest + eggs id Ohio (1 Viewer)

lsommer

We just found a nest on the ground in the middle of our yard (northern Ohio). Two eggs are inside--a pale blue with brown speckles. Any ideas?

Well I’m not an expert by any means w/ birds let alone eggs, but I’ll venture a guess; it maybe that they are eastern bluebird eggs/nest. Depends on size too of course, what size were the eggs, and how big was the nest, and what shape? Few more details may help other, more knowledgeable, folks w/ an ID.

eastern bluebird eggs are a pale blue with a few specks and about 0.8 inches in length. their nest is generally a loose cup of grass/plant stems, though i think they may tend to favor boxes, i'm not sure.

Last edited:
The nest being on the ground suggests that it could be a sparrow. Both Chipping and Song Sparrows have eggs that are bluish/greenish with brown specks, though the Chipping nests mostly in bushes. So I'd guess it's probably a Song Sparrow. Like Bubo said, can you give us more details?

Hi Isommer, Welcome to Bird Forum from Admin and the Moderators.

Sorry I can't help with an ID. Your sure to get many opinions on this one!

Look forward to reading about your Bird Day in Ohio.

Based on Warbler's suggestions of possible Chipping or Song Sparrow, I found a couple of photos of nests with eggs. Does yours look like either of these?

Attachments

• chipping_sparrow_eggs_in_nest.jpg
    chipping_sparrow_eggs_in_nest.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 3,426
  • Songsparrow eggs in nest.jpg
    Songsparrow eggs in nest.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 263
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back