• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common Buzzard - winter range (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Can anyone tell me the most Northerly point for regularly wintering Common Buzzards?

We had one sat on a roadside pole in St Petersburg today but they're usually well gone for the winter by now.

Cheers, A

Can anyone tell me the most Northerly point for regularly wintering Common Buzzards?

We had one sat on a roadside pole in St Petersburg today but they're usually well gone for the winter by now.

Cheers, A

I see what you mean Andy, they do appear to have a reduced residential range in your area....according to Collins they shouldn't be in your area at any time?
I have to assume that you double checked (as best you could), that it wasn't a RLBuzzard?

Cheers

Ken, it's Steppe Buzzard in Andy's neck of the forest, it seems some later than usual migration of North European raptors is going on this year, for example Tonn the famous Estonian Greater spotted Eagle seems in no hurry to get down to his usual Spanish winter holiday location, he appears to be on some sort of gastronomic tour of France at the moment, in Burgundy recently and yesterday in the Charolais area, bon appétit to him :eat:

I see what you mean Andy, they do appear to have a reduced residential range in your area....according to Collins they shouldn't be in your area at any time?
I have to assume that you double checked (as best you could), that it wasn't a RLBuzzard?

Cheers

They are common Ken as stated by Richard and yes you're right, I had considered RlB but it looked like Common.

We get RlB on passage in spring and autumn though they are never common and I'm not sure I'd expect one on a very busy, roadside pole. Even so I think this would be late even for RlB?

Cheers, A

Last edited:
Ken, it's Steppe Buzzard in Andy's neck of the forest, it seems some later than usual migration of North European raptors is going on this year, for example Tonn the famous Estonian Greater spotted Eagle seems in no hurry to get down to his usual Spanish winter holiday location, he appears to be on some sort of gastronomic tour of France at the moment, in Burgundy recently and yesterday in the Charolais area, bon appétit to him :eat:

....Of course Richard!...I must learn to turn the page in my Collins! :eek!:

They are common Ken as stated by Richard and yes you're right, I had considered RlB but it looked like Common.

We get RlB on passage in spring and autumn though they are never common and I'm not sure I'd expect one on a very busy, roadside pole. Even so I think this would be late even for RlB?

Cheers, A

Andy looks like Richard's ''nailed it!'' returning BOPS are doing so, but in a time to suit themselves...probably females (no sense of urgency). ;)

As you might recall Andy? the Buzzard from my last years ''Eastern flavour'' thread...almost to the day, drifted past my window a week ago...still looks interesting!...FWIW.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1600781.jpeg  Buzby 100.jpeg
    P1600781.jpeg Buzby 100.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 48
  • P1600793.jpeg  Buzby going away.jpg
    P1600793.jpeg Buzby going away.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 29
  • P1600800.jpeg  Buzby at eye level.jpg
    P1600800.jpeg Buzby at eye level.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 33
Common Buzzard is scarce but regular in Southern Finland through winter, but rare in central parts of the country. Now there were 37 records from the last week, but all are from south-west, west of Helsinki. I would not be terribly surprised to see one in St Petersburg area in late November, although the influence of vulpinus, and ratio of long-distance migrants goes higher eastwards.

Common Buzzard is scarce but regular in Southern Finland through winter, but rare in central parts of the country. Now there were 37 records from the last week, but all are from south-west, west of Helsinki. I would not be terribly surprised to see one in St Petersburg area in late November, although the influence of vulpinus, and ratio of long-distance migrants goes higher eastwards.

Thanks Jalid, Ken, Richard

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back