• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in Sri Lanka (1 Viewer)

nbalblas

Some more from Sri Lanka.

Please let me know what you think:t:

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN4176.jpg
    DSCN4176.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN4650 (2).jpg
    DSCN4650 (2).jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN4844.jpg
    DSCN4844.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN4948 (2).jpg
    DSCN4948 (2).jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 54
#1 - Black-rumped aka Red-backed Woodpecker Dinopium benghalense & White-bellied Drongo.
#2 - Bar-winged Flycatcher-Shrike aka Pied
#3 - ?? bill like a scimitar babbler?
#4 - Grey Wagtail.

Last edited:
Thank you Mark.

Any ideas on these last two?

Attachments

• DSCN5181 (2).jpg
    DSCN5181 (2).jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN5318.jpg
    DSCN5318.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 39
1. Lesser Sri Lanka AKA Lesser Crimson-backed/Red-backed Flameback (psarodes), plus a White-bellied Drongo to the right.
2. Oriental Magpie Robin, I think
3. looks like Yellow-billed Babbler
4. Grey Wagtail

Last edited:
Surely 2 is a Magpie Robin Mark?

3 Looks like a Babbler to me

A

Actually I was thrown by the apparent white throat, but it can't be a Bar-winged due to the black on the upper chest, assuming I've now read it right. Magpie Robin has a completely black head.

Would an Oriental Magpie-robin have a white throat? an immature male would also not have such a strong white on the throat would it?

No. 5 is female Purple-rumped Sunbird. Agree with Common Myna for no. 6.

Satyachil, I don't think the throat of the Robin is really white - I'd say it's a light effect.

No. 5 is female Purple-rumped Sunbird. Agree with Common Myna for no. 6.

Satyachil, I don't think the throat of the Robin is really white - I'd say it's a light effect.

That is very possible i guess. The wing bar pattern is definitely that of an oriental magpie robin.

The first bird, is it a Bushchat?
The second is another picture of the Babbler(?), it just doesn't strike me as a Babbler, but maybe thats just me...

Attachments

• DSCN4855.jpg
    DSCN4855.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN4844.jpg
    DSCN4844.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back