• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waders - Forsythe NJ and San Francisco CA, Sept '17 (1 Viewer)

Doc Duck

The NJ shots were in difficult backlight and glare. Some were also distant and I couldn't find a better angle or closer or clearer shot at that pond, but I have at least some guesses as to what I saw there. I've also made a guess at the ones I saw on the Bay Trail my last morning in SF, but given how often I'm mistaken I thought I should check with you folks before posting and making a fool of myself. But you folks already know that about me anyway ;), so here come my guesses:
1) I'm thinking these might be Black-bellied plovers still in breeding plumage, but with that backlight and glare it's hard to see the precise shape of the black belly plumage and white framing or the precise shade of their darker caps, so they might also be American Goldens ...? But I'm pretty sure not European or Pacific Goldens, but I've been wrong many times before.
2) Do I see a slight upturn to the bills on some of these waders, indicating Greater Yellowlegs? But that lighter-bellied one at the back with the broad white supercillium, is that maybe a Spotted Redshank? Can't really tell the leg colors thanks to the backlight and glare.
3) This plover is from the West Coast and in non-breeding plumage. American Golden, perhaps? Or is it Pacific Golden? I have many shots of them, but I think this one was the best.

Attachments

• Blackbellied or American Golden.jpg
    Blackbellied or American Golden.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Wader mix (3).jpg
    Wader mix (3).jpg
    338.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Plover - poss Am Golden.jpg
    Plover - poss Am Golden.jpg
    341.3 KB · Views: 95
1. Black-bellied Plovers.
2. The bills look fairly short and fine on the ones where we can see it, so I would say these are predominantly Lesser Yellowlegs. Definitely no Spotted Redshanks here.
3. This looks like another Black-bellied Plover to me.

Agree on the plovers.

The yellowlegs strike me as greater, except for maybe the rightmost, which looks a little smaller and might be a lesser.

I don't know what the birds in the second photo are, but it looks like there are birds of at least two distinctly different sizes present.

It's possible the one more-or-less in the middle preening its back is a Greater, as it does look a bit bigger and it may have a longer bill. I think the front five birds are all Lessers and probably the bird second on the right too. I presume also a Lesser asleep at the back.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back