• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (4 Viewers)

Haha, yes, indeed metric is the standard. My bad :-O

I also agree with introduced ranges being included on the range maps...perhaps in a different color. And in Kingdon's Mammals of Africac a red shade is used to show current distribution...and a paler red to show former distribution. That would be helpful, too...

Out of curiosity, has anyone gotten volume 2 yet? Mine is ordered, but all I get on the lynx site is "shipping in September", and well, it's September :p

I just noticed that the Colin Groves book won't be out until October, FYI. John Hopkins University Press usually has a table at SVP, so let's hope I can pick up a cheap copy :p

I don't get any such advance notices, so it's just going to be a pleasant surprise (I hope) when the book arrives. ;)

I was informed by UPS 2 days ago and it was the first time I received such a notice ... which I had to remove from the bin where it went directly actually.

Just arrived ... and we are promised a rainy afternoon o:)

Congrats, Daniel! :t:

Too many questions |:d| , but please :

Is there official establishment of Phylogenetic species concept for Bovidae?
How many species Bongo and Bushbuck are listed ?
Is there any new splits in genera Bos and Bubalus ?
Kouprey's status?

Thank you in advance!(I must wait till 19th)

My copy arrived yesterday and first impressions are excellent - I like this volume a lot more than the (to me disappointing) volume 1. The taxonomy is certainly interesting - lots more bushbucks for starters.
The photos and plates are superb.

It's here!|:d| First impression: Higher quality, than hmw1 and huge cornerstone in Mammalogy.

Still missing my copy, despite a standing subscription. But I suspect it's because it has to go through customs here. And its price is probably higher than the free amount for imported books (at least that's the case with the HBW volumes). Thus, I'll get a customs billing along with it. :eek!:

Still missing my copy, despite a standing subscription. But I suspect it's because it has to go through customs here. And its price is probably higher than the free amount for imported books (at least that's the case with the HBW volumes). Thus, I'll get a customs billing along with it. :eek!:

I'm still waiting for mine also :-C

After some mess with post office, got mine.

As expected, beautiful book, although some groups (giraffes) are described a bit too briefly.

Splitting (actually its not splitting, its splintering ;) ) of Bovids is incredible. I actually didn't find any reason for doing it, besides authors opinion.

Some surprising statements - eg. that Wisent appeared by crossing ancient bison with Auroch, or Caucasian Wisent was a separate species. Unfortunately, the book has no references in the text (just at the end of chapters, not like Wikipedia) which makes these findings unverifable.

Aardvark popping out of burrow and Brazilian Tapir at sunrise are beautiful. Photo of Musk Deer climbing tree like a monkey is incredible.

Going back to reading...

Actually, the splittings is not completed yet, I think. PSC is trying to minimise subspecies taxon, even "erase" it, and to state species as monotypic. It is obviously done with most of the species (taxons are reduced from 430 to 348 in Bovidae), but in this matter, there is a feeling, that accounts is dependable of author. All account's authors in Bovidae, mention in the beggining of the book.

Nevertheless, book is exceptional. We all desired more subsp. info before:
Here it is.Even some subsp. are questionably combined in one taxon , but this looks DNA proofed(citation needed).
No matter, that science will recognize Groves approach, or not (this happend in Primatology) we have most comprehensive Ungulate guide, ever written.

Personally, I regret, that authors of Cervidae are not so brave. We can expect new splits in Ungulate Taxonomy, but they would not be so beatifully illustrated. Regret also, that Northern White is only mentioned in Family text, as a species(we knew that from lynx page). It can be wonderfull symbol of PSC conservation role.(Groves recognize it as species in "Sixth Rhino")
I hoped citation in text also, like Walker's 6th, but you can find some names only in accounts. There is opinion that Gaur is not the largest cattle.Badly need record history of this statement. The "feral story" whit Kouprey is interestingly resolved.

Highly agree with briefly description of Giraffe vs. Elephants for example.
Newest genetic analysis show differences from 0.5 to 6.9% , below those required for the establishment of distinct species Giraffe, they say. Here, I also wait "Ungulate Taxonomy".

Pictures are very informative. In some, like newest HBW vols, are mentioned subsp. I was stunned from Western Iberian Ibex, sitting on the almost vertical rock, and from Salt's Dik-dik loused by Velvet Monkеy.

I saw 1 new species described B :)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back