• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of Grebe is this ? (1 Viewer)

tcom

Hi everyone,

I was bird watching this morning around lake Geneva. I saw this grebe but can't identify it precisely.

First I thought about a little grebe. But little grebes are smaller than that one. The red eye of this one does not fit neither.

Having a look at the Svensson, it might be a black-necked grebe or a horned grebe. But neither of these should live in this area.

Could anyone help ?

Attachments

• IMGP2230.jpg
    IMGP2230.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 278
  • IMGP2232.jpg
    IMGP2232.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 303
Hi Dominique,
A winter plumage Black-necked Grebe,starting to gain the summer plumes on the head sides.
Harry

Michael Frankis said:
Not necessarily a damaged leg - I've often seen grebes (and other water birds) "hang a leg out to dry" like this, it doesn't mean anything.

Michael
I've wondered about this, too. Is it just to give the leg a stretch? Some kind of thermoregulation? Using it as a rudder? ;) It always looks so odd when you see it.

Jane Turner said:
Obviously not seen enough grebes... , mind you mine are always in flight or a mile away!

You're one up on me, Jane. Five of the six grebes I've seen that we have on the western US coast (Black-necked [Eared], Slavonian [Horned], Pied-billed, Western and Clark's), and I've never seen a single one in flight. Have seen, contrary to all the literature I've read, a Western Grebe walking on the beach in Santa Barbara (between Stearn's Wharf and Sea Landing). Well, a sort of drunken waddle. Bad photo below.

Attachments

• WEGR - BF.jpg
    WEGR - BF.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 190
Katy Penland said:
Have seen, contrary to all the literature I've read, a Western Grebe walking on the beach in Santa Barbara (between Stearn's Wharf and Sea Landing). Well, a sort of drunken waddle.
So how long did it last, before someone's dog got it?

Michael

crispycreme said:
Amazing it can even stand...

No kidding. When I first spotted it, I thought, Loon? (which would have also been a first to see out of the water) Even with the obvious color pattern, the yellow bill and red eye, my mind was rejecting Grebe.

tcom said:
All the grebes I have seen so far were in the water. No flying nor walking around grebe...

Me, too, until this one. And even those in the water, a lot of what you see is the tail as they dive just as you start to press the shutter.

Michael Frankis said:
So how long did it last, before someone's dog got it?

Michael

It was only on the sand for a few minutes, maybe 10 at the most, then back into the water. While out, though, it was nosing around in that pile of kelp. It was really one of the weirdest things I've seen in the birding world. Just wish I'd had a longer lens and could've gotten closer for a better shot.

This was very early in the a.m. while we were waiting for a whale watching boat to depart, so not many people out and about. Or dogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back