• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which lark and wheatear? southern Oman (1 Viewer)

BirdingRob

Brit abroad
Both seen at the same desert farm.

Most of the larks were black crowned sparrow larks. If this one is too, can someone explain its age and gender. If not, what is it?

All the wheatears were Isabelline or desert.

I struggle with lots of winter wheatears. This one has dark ear coverts like a female-type desert but also an isolated dark alula like an Isabelline. Its stance looks intermediate. Which is it?

all help gratefully received as ever.

Rob

Attachments

• lark (Medium).JPG
    lark (Medium).JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 103
  • wheatear (Medium).JPG
    wheatear (Medium).JPG
    192.5 KB · Views: 90
Dear both,

I am grateful for both those calls. The short toed larks are obvious now its pointed out. I just wasn't looking for them this far south this early and mentally didn't consider them. Is there enough streaking for it to be lesser short toed lark though greater looks good?

Thanks

Rob

Last edited:
I have got another picture and your call is looking good for the lark. Clearly lesser short toed lark is ruled out. Can anyone confirm that bimaculated lark is also ruled out given the black size of the black patches.

Rob

Attachments

• lark2.JPG
    lark2.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 76
Doesn't look like Bimaculated. I think it's some sort of Short-toed Lark, most probably some subspecies of Greater although I don't think I've ever seen one quite so streaky before

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back