• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shearwater? ID please (1 Viewer)

Jacamar

I saw this bird at the beach today. It was larger and heavier built than a Laughing Gull that was nearby. It spent most of the time sitting quietly on the beach.
I apoligize for the poor pictures but I had to use digital zoom to get close enough. I think it might be a Shearwater of some sort but I can't figure out what it is. Can anyone help? I do have more pictures including an out of focus flight shot if they are needed.

Attachments

• shearwater2.jpg
    shearwater2.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 454
  • shearwater3.jpg
    shearwater3.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 412
Certainly a Skua. I'm a bit out of practice with them but my gut reaction is Pomarine Skua Stercorarius pomarinus, although it could also be an Arctic, S. parasiticus. They might appear under differnt names (i.e. Pomarine & Parasitic Jaeger) in some fieldguides.

Stuart

Here is a flight shot that is quite out of focus, but it may be helpful.

Whatever it is, it is rare/accidental for Guyana. If it is indeed the South Polar Skua, I think it would be the first record of it for Guyana.

Attachments

• shearwater4.jpg
    shearwater4.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
While I admit it may be a Pomarine I'm still not sure it's not a South Polar Skua. As they are regularly seen as far North as Canada they obviously go past Guyana to get there.

Check this site out. >Skuas<

MikeDale said:
While I admit it may be a Pomarine I'm still not sure it's not a South Polar Skua. As they are regularly seen as far North as Canada they obviously go past Guyana to get there.

Check this site out. >Skuas<

Nice pictures of South-polar Skuas which clearly demonstrate that this bird isn't one ! All of the Catharacta skuas are much heavier birds than the Guyana skua, and all show much heavier, all dark bills than this bird shows. Simialrly, their plumage is never as pale as this bird. I still think it's a Pomarine Skua.

Stuart

In addition to Stuarts comments, the barring on breast and flank feathers looks wrong for South Polar Skua to me, but good for Pomarine Skua.

Joern Lehmhus said:
In addition to Stuarts comments, the barring on breast and flank feathers looks wrong for South Polar Skua to me, but good for Pomarine Skua.

The two-tone dark-tipped bill is a good Pomarine feature as well. It looks like a juv Pomarine comng out of winter plumage to me.

So a Pomarine Jaeger it is! Thanks everybody for your help. It is a lifer and a VERY unexpected one at that!

Last edited:
I looked at the pictures of SP Skua in the link, and could not find a truly light phase bird. However, those I looked at had if anything the crown lighter than the sides of the head, not oppocite like in this bird. Additionally, even though it is not conclusive, the most likely bird in the Caribbean is the pomarine, I will generally see a couple of birds every time I am on a boat a little from land.

HTH
Niels

I missed this all those years ago, but I'm filing it as a Pomarine Skua! NIce Everton Mint effect going on its its under-tail coverts. Bill looks a little lightweight though!

On structure it looks like an Arctic, smallheaded, bill size, bicoloured not that obvious contrasting
maybe a 1st summer bird?

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back