• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

British Birds magazine (1 Viewer)

IAN JAMES THOMPSON

I’ve just ordered the British Birds magazine. What do other members of this forum who receive this magazine think about the articles. I also subscribe to the BirdWatching magazine but I’m about to cancel the Birdwatch magazine at the end of the current 12 month period.
Ian.

You will certainly notice a difference.

'BB' articles are generally serious, scientific and authoritative. Sometimes heavy going, sometimes of limited appeal. BBRC , RBPB and Scarce Migrants reports every year for reference.

Steve

I do know there was a special offer on the Bird Forum with a British Birds magazine subscription earlier this year. But I managed to get a British Birds first 12 months subscription offer at £41.00 with a £25.00 Voucher as I know the British Birds magazine costs much more than other bird magazines.
Ian.

I've been taking 'BB' since 1962 and although some articles can be 'heavy going' the tradeoff is that you also get lots of authoritative yet accessible gems that give you a level of analysis, understanding and authority that no other publication can match. As someone with no formal qualification in science beyond 'O' level, I'd also argue, with regard to articles some may regard as difficult or too scientific, that it's good to be challenged and to try to stretch your understanding. I'm happy to look through 'Birdwatch' (which I enjoy) and which I have taken intermittently since it started (and to which I currently subscribe) but I read 'BB'. That's the difference!

Thanks for all your reply’s as I’m looking forward to reading the scientific heavyweight articles and actually I’ve got no qualifications as when I went to senior school there was the 11 plus exam to see if you went to a Grammar School if you passed the exam and the Secondary Modern School if you failed the exam and I failed the exam and went to a Secondary Modern School in the early 1960’s and I was the only pupil I think at that school that was interested in Bird Watching and I’m looking forward to improving my knowledge with reading the British Birds magazine.
Ian.

Thanks for all your reply’s as I’m looking forward to reading the scientific heavyweight articles and actually I’ve got no qualifications as when I went to senior school there was the 11 plus exam to see if you went to a Grammar School if you passed the exam and the Secondary Modern School if you failed the exam and I failed the exam and went to a Secondary Modern School in the early 1960’s and I was the only pupil I think at that school that was interested in Bird Watching and I’m looking forward to improving my knowledge with reading the British Birds magazine.
Ian.

No, the test failed you!

I'm a similar vintage but somewhat to my teacher's surprise I got through the 11+ and went to grammar school. I was very fortunate to be in a class with no less than three other birdwatchers (although two of those I'd roped into birding when we were at primary school together!). All four of us are still birding one an expert ringer, another a keen bird photographer, a third a professional tour guide/field guide author and then there's me! Oddly enough none of us took science at A-level although all of us took Geography, two with History, one with Maths and another with Modern Languages.

"British Wildlife" magazine is also very interesting, although as it covers a much wider range of subjects there is a greater chance of finding articles that are of no interest. Personally I am only really interested in things I can actually go and see, and since I don't like travelling that means staying in the UK; so I find "British Birds" and "British Wildlife" far more interesting than any of the magazines available on the high street.

No, the test failed you!

I'm a similar vintage but somewhat to my teacher's surprise I got through the 11+ and went to grammar school. I was very fortunate to be in a class with no less than three other birdwatchers (although two of those I'd roped into birding when we were at primary school together!). All four of us are still birding one an expert ringer, another a keen bird photographer, a third a professional tour guide/field guide author and then there's me! Oddly enough none of us took science at A-level although all of us took Geography, two with History, one with Maths and another with Modern Languages.

Please stay on topic John, bird related comments only, you know the rule8-P

A

I’ve just received my first copy of British Birds and I am very disappointed by the size of the journal compared to the size of Bird Watching and Bird Watch. All the photos I saw of British Birds made it look like a big magazine like those other two magazines I’ve mentioned above. The articles are very interesting. But the small size of the journal makes you wonder is it worth all the money I would have to pay for my second 12 months sub, if I continued to subscribe to this journal. As it is, it’s a good thing I bought the journal with a special offer for the first 12 months. I wasn’t expecting lots of glossy articles as it’s a very serious journal and that’s why I decided to subscribe to British Birds. But the small size, makes me wonder is it worth all the money everyone pays for this journal.
Ian.

I’ve just received my first copy of British Birds and I am very disappointed by the size of the journal compared to the size of Bird Watching and Bird Watch. All the photos I saw of British Birds made it look like a big magazine like those other two magazines I’ve mentioned above. The articles are very interesting. But the small size of the journal makes you wonder is it worth all the money I would have to pay for my second 12 months sub, if I continued to subscribe to this journal. As it is, it’s a good thing I bought the journal with a special offer for the first 12 months. I wasn’t expecting lots of glossy articles as it’s a very serious journal and that’s why I decided to subscribe to British Birds. But the small size, makes me wonder is it worth all the money everyone pays for this journal.
Ian.

And what size do you think e.g Birdwatch magazine would be without all the adverts, I'll bet it's 30-40% adverts.

A

No, the test failed you!

Hopefully you were one of the History taker!

You have done plenty in Kent John. You also encouraged and took time to take pupils on field trips.

Regards
A former Frank Montgomery pupil

In my experience the standard of proofreading in British Birds is much higher than in Birdwatch or Birdwatching.

Dave W

Ian.

I wouldn't worry about the size Ian. Look on the bright side; they'll take up less room in your house.

Ian.
Journals of this ilk are all roughly this size, such as Scottish Birds, African Bird Club, Ibis etc. A number of bird reports are also close this this size, Isles of Scilly, Fair Isle, Spurn.
Birdwatch and Birdwatching are catering for a different market and as they are high street magazines match in size to other magazines on the shelves in WHSmiths, Supermarkets and corner shops and so on.

As they saying goes 'its not the size of it that counts its what is done with it....' |:p|

As they saying goes 'its not the size of it that counts its what is done with it....' |:p|

Which as we all know is a story perpetrated by those offering a smaller product..........8-P

As I said above, and I don't take either, how do they compare in terms of advertising, Birdwatch/ing carry an awful lot and I'd be curious to see what the actual news and feature content amounts to % wise?

A

Last edited:
I get a free copy of Birdwatching in return for supplying them with a monthly county report - it usually takes me about 15 minutes to read what I feel is worthwhile, and yes, a lot of the magazine is advertising material, some of it of debatable value eg expansive ads for holidays that have very limited capacity. Afterwards I either pass it on to a friend or put it in the recycling bin.

BB on the other hand despite being 'smaller' takes me a couple of hours to digest, and then it is kept for reference.

Steve

I get a free copy of Birdwatching in return for supplying them with a monthly county report - it usually takes me about 15 minutes to read what I feel is worthwhile, and yes, a lot of the magazine is advertising material, some of it of debatable value eg expansive ads for holidays that have very limited capacity. Afterwards I either pass it on to a friend or put it in the recycling bin.

BB on the other hand despite being 'smaller' takes me a couple of hours to digest, and then it is kept for reference.

Steve

Exactly why I stopped taking it years ago.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back