• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodlark? (1 Viewer)

dylan

United Kingdom
Not a very good photo taken at Thursley Common. Can someone confirm it's a Woodlark? After following a couple of other threads I've decided (finally) to start keeping a list & it would be nice to add Woodlark.
Cheers,
Dylan.

Attachments

• woodlark.jpg
    woodlark.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 368
Yep - definitely a Woodlark Dylan.
The white supercillium and the black and white patch at the gretater primary coverts (half-way down the leading edge of the wing) are an absolute give-away. Get it ticked, matey! Nice one.

Short tail cf skylark is also a good field mark.
Lovely song when you can hear them!
Great bird place, Thursley.
Said to be the best place in the UK for dragonflies, too!

Thanks for that CJW, I was pretty sure but thought I'd check as it was a first for me.

Thursley is very nice, I'm sure you know it well Ken. They've even got a couple of noticeboards showing all the different Dragonflies that are to be found there, I didn't see any though:(

Hi Dylan,
Nice one!That's an undisputed Woodlark:takes me back to the events of my birthday last May...;-)
I've been to Thursley:pity it wasn't sunnier as I was hoping to see more dragonflies(in particular Golden-ringed Dragonfly and Brilliant Emerald,neither of which we have here.Did get Small Red Damselfly,which is also absent here),but did get a few Dartford Warblers,Green Woodpeckers and 2 Hobbies there.Nice area.
Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back